Gymnastics team breaks records

The UW-Eau Claire women’s gymnastics team returned from Denton, Texas with record-breaking scores.

The Blugolds competed in a triangular meet against Texas Woman’s University and the University of Oklahoma Saturday.

Placing third in the meet, the ‘Golds brought home a school record score of 173.450.

Oklahoma won the meet with a total score of 196.225, while Texas placed second with a score of 191.6.

The old team record score was 169.6, which was achieved by the Blugolds in the NCGA West Regional Qualifier last March. Less than a year old, the record was broken by over 3 points.

“We had an awesome meet,” said junior Jessica Pink. “We all really cleaned up our routines. We’re continually improving.”

Individual record-breaking scores were achieved by several members of the team.

Pink broke the school record on the balance beam with a score of 9.4. She also broke the all-around school record with a score of 35.6.

Amy Windorski, held the previous beam record of 9.30. Former gymnast Cori Cap, held the all-around record of 34.65.

Freshman Kristina Reitzel also broke a school record in the vaulting competition. Her score of 9.4 replaced the previous Eau Claire record of 9.05, which was held by former gymnasts Michelle Phillips and Kim Heinen.

“We deserved the scores we got,” Pink said.

Coach Lisa McIntyre is impressed by the amount of confidence her team has gained since the meet.

“It put them at the next level,” McIntyre said. “It gave them a boost of confidence. They are really pumped.”

McIntyre and the rest of her team are focusing on some high goals for the rest of their season.

“We focus well as a team,” McIntyre said. “Our overall team goal is to qualify for nationals.”

Although the ‘Golds haven’t won a meet yet, they have confidence heading into their meet at UW-Oshkosh.

“We are looking for a win,” McIntyre said. “I think now we have enough confidence to make it a reality.”

The Blugolds face UW-Oshkosh at 7 p.m. Friday

“We really think we can beat Oshkosh,” Pink said.