‘A showcase of excellence’

The UW-Eau Claire Singing Statesmen have spent the past year working with the music of internationally known composer James Mulholland. This Saturday, all their hard work will be put on display in the final Statesmen performance of the semester.

Director Gary Schwartzhoff said the focus of the performance will be the compositions of Mulholland, who will also be attending the concert.

“Three of our choirs have been involved in a recording project this year at the invitation of the composer James Mulholland,” Schwartzhoff said. “. This concert features six of his compositions, some of which are dedicated to the statesmen. . This is the last concert, now, of this repertoire, sprinkled throughout the year. We’ve been working on this project all year, amongst other music, obviously.”

Mulholland has been a professor of music at Butler University in Indianapolis since 1964, according to his biography on the Butler University Web site. He has received numerous awards for his work as a composer, and his works are commonly performed by universities and colleges across the country. His music has been performed at Carnegie Hall.

The Statesmen, Concert Choir and Women’s Concert Choral have all been working on a CD project involving Mulholland’s music, Schwartzhoff said. The CD is expected to come out this summer.

Mulholland contacted Schwartzhoff more than a year ago with the idea for the project, asking if that was something he would want to do. Schwartzhoff was very interested, he said.

“It’s a pretty exciting event for us to do this, given his willingness, his admiration of this program,” Schwarthoff said. “He travels throughout the country, so I suppose he could’ve chosen anyone.”

Senior and Singing Statesmen President JT Wesley agreed that the connection with Mulholland makes the upcoming concert one of the most important of the year.

“I think it’s going to be an excellent showcase of the hard work we’ve been putting in this semester and this year,” he said.

Wesley has been involved in the Statesmen since his freshman year, and has one year until graduation. When that day comes, he will miss everything about the Statesmen, he said. One of his favorite parts, though, has been the connections of the individual singers.

“.It is a group of men that come together with a common goal in mind,” he said. “I think that would probably have to be the number one thing that draws people in.”

Apart from the importance of Mulholland’s music, the performance Saturday will include a section honoring mothers, Schwartzhoff said, which they do every year. Mothers will be presented roses by individual members of the ensemble.

There will also be a student with the honor of conducting one of the pieces, senior Eric Lloyd, and there will be a reception for audience members after the concert.

The focus, however, is definitely Mulholland, Schwartzhoff said, especially since he will be present at the concert.

“The James Mulholland connection’s probably the biggest, single, significant thing about the concert,” he said. “. a composer of this note, I’ve never had in an audience I’ve done.”