Police Blotter: 10/18/12

Last Friday night
Friday, Oct. 12

Around midnight, an officer was sent to Towers Hall for a report of harassment. The communications center said that a man was harassing several people in the Hilltop Cafeteria and that he was last seen in Towers Hall.

The officer met the complainant in the Towers lobby. She advised that someone had reported to her that a male was bothering people both in Hilltop and outside of Towers. She put the officer into contact with one of the witnesses.

Meeting with one of them outside of Sutherland Hall, he notified the officer of the occurrences he saw, including the man bothering a girl in the cafeteria and yelling expletives at her. Later he also saw that same man try to put his arms on the shoulders of a couple walking outside of Towers.

After seeing this, he and his friends told the male to stop bothering people. He responded in a way that was indiscernible due to his slurred speech. The witness then reported the incident to the Towers resident adviser on duty.

After gathering the information, the officer went over to Towers and found the information for the man that was harassing people on upper campus. Upon getting the information from a student in security, the officer proceeded to his room.

When the officer knocked on his door, he found the spoke to the subject about his earlier conduct. The man had bloodshot eyes and emitted the smell of intoxicating beverages. When asked if he had been drinking, he denied it and also said that he had not been harassing anyone that evening.

The officer stated that it was important to him that people are honest.

The man then acknowledged that he had prepared and drank a few “mixers” before leaving his dorm room. The officer conducted a primary breath test, which had a 0.18 result.

The officer then issued a citation for underage drinking and also told the man he could
either be given a citation for disorderly conduct due to the harassment or attend a diversion program.

The student said that he would like to choose the program.

Something’s gotta give
Monday, Oct. 15

Around 11:30 p.m., an officer was traveling down the Garfield Avenue hill when she noticed that the gate at the bottom had been broken off and was laying on the ground.The gate appeared to be torn.

The officer took photos of the damage and moved the gates to the other side of the rail. She spoke to a group of girls who were walking nearby and they said the gate had been intact when they had walked past it an hour ago.

She did not observe anyone else around the gate and there were no tread marks. Finding a replacement gate, she put it at the bottom of the hill until the original could be replaced.