Police Blotter Sept. 6, 2012

Wild dumpster life

Thursday, Aug. 30

At 4:30 p.m., an officer responded to an animal complaint at the back of Hilltop Center.

Employees at the center had called in to report that a raccoon was trapped inside a food service dumpster.

The employees had placed a pallet inside in order to help three raccoons that frequented the dumpster to get out after they got in to get food from the trash, but one couldn’t get out.

Workers there reported that they did not want to get near to the animal in fear of being attacked and were even scared to use the dumpster at all.

With nudging from a plastic stick provided by one of the workers, the officer was able to get the raccoon out of the dumpster. It ran away and into the woods unharmed.

The elevator’s the cause

Saturday, Sept. 1

Close to midnight, an officer received a call from the student manager on duty about an alarm going off in the bookstore of the new Davies Center.

While en route, the officer was notified that the alarm had shut off. When he called the communication center, they notified him that there were no service calls from the alarm company for the building.

When the officer arrived on scene, the alarm was off. He checked the doors to find them all locked, the lights were off, and no one could be seen inside.

The officer met with the student manager, who didn’t know how the alarm was activated. It is believed that the alarm was triggered by a Sodexo employee who used the service elevator for the bookstore.

When life closes a window, it opens an elevator door

Thursday, Aug. 30

Around 6:30 p.m., an officer was dispatched to the North Towers residence hall for an elevator malfunction. The communication center notified the officer that someone was stuck in the elevator on the third floor.

When the officer arrived on scene, he met with an RA who informed him that no one was stuck in car number four, but it was indeed stuck on third floor with its doors propped wide open. He also said that he had tried to use the elevator, but it wouldn’t work.

The officer attempted to get the elevator doors working, but was forced to shut off the power to that elevator car in order to close the doors. He then spoke to the hall director who advised he would schedule the repair.