May 4, 2012

The runaways
May 4, 2012

At 11:09 p.m., an officer spotted a group of people walking to the Hibbard Hall parking lot, where one man was carrying an open can of beer. The officer pulled into the lot to make contact with them, but the group noticed the officer and ran away into the bushes near Hibbard.

The officer began checking the area for the group and noticed a number of people running through the yards of apartments on State Street. While talking to the residents of the apartments, they noticed a group of about five individuals in the Hibbard lot. The residents of the apartments said those were the people who were in their yard shortly before.

Another officer was speaking to the group of people when the first officer approached them. One man was asked why he ran away from the officer. He initially said he didn’t run but later admitted to running away because he didn’t know what to do and didn’t want to get in trouble. He also said he didn’t know anyone in the group at first but once again admitted that he did know the others who were running away.

The officer issued the man an underage drinking citation and told him he was free to leave.