Are ghosts real?

Elizabeth Gosling

More stories from Elizabeth Gosling

Clara Neupert

More stories from Clara Neupert

October 8, 2018

Spectator staff members debate whether ghosts are real or not, just in time for Halloween

Ghosts are real

You hear a creak around the corner. A twig snaps outside, but nobody is there. Leaves rustle in the street, but there is no wind or movement around to cause it. These things seem natural, but if you think about it, are they?

The only explanation for these supernatural occurrences is  the presence of ghosts.

Growing up in an old town, there were ample opportunities for my friends and me to run into ghosts. In fact, the park right across the street was home to a ghost in a flannel shirt. He hung out in the bathrooms, became angry one day and destroyed the mirror in the ladies’ bathroom, covering it with scratches and taking away all of its shine.

To this day the mirror has not been replaced.

Ghosts are real, and we must admit it because of haunted houses, which are often located in the heart of downtown in old cities.

Look at Milwaukee. A serial killer could be lurking just around the corner, ready to kill the next victim and dump them into Lake Michigan, where city workers are still pulling bodies.

Is it a person, or is it a ghost, haunting people into committing gruesome crimes?

Let’s just face the facts: It’s a ghost. Spirits exist in the atmosphere, clinging onto souls worthy of possession.

Running into ghosts isn’t even that difficult. Some buildings have a certain feel to them, sending chills through your skin. Although you convince yourself the chill is a breeze, it could be a spirit, clinging on to the nearest source of human flesh.

The existence of ghosts may seem doubtful because you can’t always see them. But their presence could haunt you for years to come if you don’t believe.

– Elizabeth Gosling, Currents Editor

Ghosts are not real

The human brain is powerful. It can absorb knowledge, spin dreams, compose music and solve complex problems all in a heartbeat. It is also vast: According to Discover Magazine, there are as many neurons in the brains as there are stars in the Milky Way.

With all those neurons, it’s no wonder humans are so imaginative that they often confuse fantasy with reality.

Take ghosts, for example. Ghosts are not real, yet a 2009 Pew Research Center survey found one in five American adults believe they’ve seen or been in the presence of a ghost.

Human belief in the supernatural dates back to first century C.E. when Roman scholar Pliny the Younger wrote his own ghost story, according to the History Channel.

As the world progressed, the entertainment industry profited off and probably deepened supernatural obsession.

An example is the show “Ghost Hunters,” which, according to Live Science, never found hard evidence that ghosts exist in all of its 12 seasons.  

When it comes to ghosts, people rely on their own experiences — which are not peer-reviewed — to reinforce their beliefs.

“People assume that if they can’t explain something in natural terms, then it must be something paranormal,” Christopher French, a professor of psychology and head of the Anomalistic Psychology Research Unit at Goldsmiths, University of London, told The Atlantic.

I blame the brain for imaginatively turning creaks, drafts and “stolen” keys into paranormal verification.

Maybe people today don’t care about peer-reviewed scientific evidence, and would rather go with their guts.

– Clara Neupert, Staff Writer

About the Writers
Elizabeth Gosling, Currents Editor

Elizabeth Gosling is the Currents Editor and a senior journalism and French education student. This is Elizabeth’s fourth semester with The Spectator. Besides speaking French and reporting on the Eau Claire arts scene, she enjoys paddle boarding, reading and rock climbing.

Clara Neupert, Sports Editor

Clara Neupert is a third-year journalism student. Her passions are biking and playing card games. She was the top supporter of Spectator bake sales last semester. She once ate nine muffins in a row.

7 Comments

7 Responses to “Are ghosts real?”

1. Devon Lask on October 23rd, 2017 8:33 pm

Ghosts do not do these unexplainable things, aliens do!

2. Linda on May 8th, 2018 1:07 pm

I would disagree

3. Linda on May 8th, 2018 1:06 pm

I think ghosts are real because I’ve been living a haunted house since I was really little and many things have happened there. There was this one night i was only 15 and me and my parents were hanging out. we were going to have a family dinner and then watch a movie. While my mom was making dinner all the lights suddenly went out and it wasn’t raining or storming outside. my mom was cutting a pepper when the lights went out and it was dark out and we couldn’t see anything, but all of a sudden i heard my mom scream. she cut her wrist with the knife. my dad was then screaming at me to go upstairs and get a towel and a flashlight. so i did and when i went up the stairs i saw that my parents room light was still on but i thought it was a back out. I slowly walked towards my parents room and nothing happen so i walked inside. the door slammed shut and the lights went out. I was screaming and pounding on the door and it was so cold in the room i could see my own breath. After a few minutes of screaming and pounding on the door the door flew open. And then i noticed all the lights were on down stairs so i went down stairs and i saw my mom and dad both sitting on the couch. and i asked them what they were doing and they said we were going to watch the movie and i also saw that my moms cut was gone. Then later that night when i was trying to fall asleep i kept hearing whispers but i could never make out what they were saying. After a lot of years later my parents passed away and i still live in the house and just recently weird things have started to happen again.

4. Lilly on June 3rd, 2018 1:46 pm

Wow! That’s scary. I’ve had experience with ghosts too. One night I was sleepingvin myvmins room on the floor,and there was a window behind the bed. I was trying too go to sleep, when I saw a shadow over the TV. In my mind I was thinking it was just my imagination, but it wasn’t. 5 minutes later it went away,but it kept haunting me for 3 months.

5. Random on May 19th, 2018 7:32 pm

Do you ever feel unsafe,in some rooms in your house hold? If yes look around and if you see a mirror faceing a mirror it’s consiterd a ghost portal

6. Yourmom123 on May 31st, 2018 12:46 pm

Ghosts are legit fam

7. Johno on July 6th, 2018 5:43 pm

My name is John and I have seen a ghost loads of times the same ghost I keep it every time I go outside for some fresh air but strangely enough this happens every time I’m outside I think it might just be the spirit of my grandad who sadly died last year of cancer it’s nice to know he’s always there at the side of me and he all ways sits next to me when me and parents go out for dinner everywhere with my family and he always sits next to me in the car when we go anywhere hoe strange is that?

• Editorial

Vote for the change you want to see in the nation

• Editorial

City of Eau Claire bans conversion therapy

• Editorial

Christine Blasey Ford was failed by the system

• Are ghosts real?

• Are ghosts real?

Getting it together: the remix

• Are ghosts real?

Getting Weird

• Are ghosts real?

• Are ghosts real?

• Are ghosts real?

Getting Weird

Are ghosts real?