Albrent’s believe it or not

Story by Emily Albrent, Op/Ed Editor

Bottoms up

Cleo, a 6.6 pound 9 month old American Staffordshire ingested a small amount of anti-freeze from licking radiator fluid off of car parts in a garage in Australia.
To save his life, he consumed a large amount of vodka, (to put it in human terms, it would add up to be about seven or eight shots every four hours) that eventually saved his life.

When I heard about this, I was a little shocked, laughed a bit, felt bad for laughing and then really thought about it. It seemed weird that the vet’s first instinct was to grab a bottle of vodka, so of course, I had to do some more digging.

I found out that ethanol is usually what will be used to treat anti-freeze poisoning, but the vets chose to use vodka in this situation because it stops the harmful chemical reaction just as well as ethanol and conveniently a nurse had some in her car … a nurse had vodka just chilling in her car. Well. That’s a whole other situation.

I’m not a fan of professionals giving animals alcohol to treat their illnesses, but in all honesty, I’m just glad this puppy is safe.

I’ve got a golden ticket

A huge as heck 12-pound golden nugget was recently found in Ballarat, Australia that could be worth more than $500,000. I don’t know about you, but how in the world did something so monstrous go unnoticed for so freaking long?

It’s a 12-pound GOLDEN NUGGET YOU GUYS. Apparently a man used a very expensive metal detector and just stumbled upon this beauty which lay two feet below the earth. People are being super secretive and won’t let the public know who this guy is that is now super rich and where the exact location of this nugget was found, which is unfortunate because now I really want to go to Ballarat, Australia.

I’m actually surprised that the guy got to keep the nugget in the first place. Like, shouldn’t that be in a museum or something? I would pay good money to see a 12-pound
golden nugget.