Sandy Hook conspiracy theories outlandish, distasteful

“In this video I will prove to you there has been a lot of deception surrounding the Sandy Hook shooting. This is a simple, logical video. No aliens, holograms, rituals or anything like that, just facts.”

Facts. Just facts. One of the recent internet buzz-worthy videos catching the attention of millions, “The Sandy Hook Shooting — Fully Exposed” explains the “inconsistencies” from the Sandy Hook Shooting.

It brings to light the questions that the media coverage left but didn’t supply any answers.
One of the most popular and sensational ideas the video brings to light is the possibility that the shooting never even happened, or if it did happen the facts were not the same as reported on TV.

Were the parents shown on TV actually actors? Were there multiple shooters? This video, as of the 21st, has over 11 million views on YouTube and was published on Jan. 7.
Receiving coverage from major news sources such as The Huffington Post and CNN — not to mention the popularity online on sites such as Buzzfeed — so it’s safe to say the video has become
rather popular.

The video, packed full of guitar solos I might add, has quickly been debunked and their questions have been answered. This may seem like a sensational story that is absurd and fun to follow but let’s talk about the harm this theory actually can cause.

Everybody loves a good conspiracy theory. Who shot Martin Luther King Jr., is Elvis still alive, what is actually happening at the Denver airport, 9/11 — they are fascinating and exciting. But this is still an extremely sensitive issue (not that the previously mentioned theories are not) and it may seem naive to say but, political issues aside, it is too soon to make light of the situation.

Most conspiracy theories are offensive to someone whether it be the fact that someone cannot and will not believe our government could be involved in conspiracy theories or they were personally affected by the situation. Those close to Tupac are probably sensitive to the claims that he is still alive.

One of the claims of the video is 6-year-old victim, Emily Parker, was later seen in a photo with President Obama. The photo was proven to be of Parker’s sister but put yourself in the shoes of Parker’s loved ones. Hearing a claim that she is still alive would be so painful
to hear!

Also, using breaking news as his primary argument as to why this video is proof for his theory is ridiculous. The story was unfolding in front of
America’s eyes. The reporters had no more information than us citizens at home, so you will have to excuse them if they got some of the information a little wrong.
David Mikkelson, founder of Snopes.com, a myth exposing website, told The Huffington Post there is always confusion with situations like this and can sometimes take a few days to clear up
the misconceptions.

“In any kind of disaster or tragedy like this, if you go through things with a fine-toothed comb, you will find a number of contradictory statements,” Mikkelson
told HuffPost. If you watch the video, DO NOT put any weight into the claims that are made.

This video is sensational and not worth discussing on major news outlets. I hope this story does not continue to be covered because it’s neither important nor credible.
The moral of this story is there are going to be some news releases that don’t necessarily add up
right away.

Let us be a more intelligent and sensitive community and not waste our breath putting stock into such absurd ideas.