Return of the Jedi

I wanted to let a little time pass before I addressed it. I wanted to let the dust settle. I needed all my immediate overreactions and preconceived conclusions to pass. If I hadn’t waited, I probably would have written some fiery piece chalked full of expletives. It may have been entertaining, but it certainly wouldn’t have been right. Now that I’ve had a few weeks to process everything, I’m finally willing to pass my judgment.

There will be three more “Star Wars” films and Disney will make them. Star Wars fans, this is a good thing.

Just like many others, I was furious when the news first broke. I couldn’t believe they would risk tarnishing the series any further. I wanted it left alone. Since then, I’ve pulled a complete 180. But before I tell you why, let me validate myself.

We “Star Wars” fans are a unique bunch. Coming from all walks of life, we are many and we are everywhere. I received the original trilogy right after it was digitally remastered. I literally wore those tapes out. My pool cue was suddenly a light saber and the woods behind my house were transformed into the forest moon of Endor.

I was in high school when the latest film came out. I waited in line for about six hours at the movie theater so I could see the movie at midnight. Did I need to get there that early? I had already bought my ticket, so probably not. But I wanted to hang out with the other nerds. Plus I bought a replica Anakin Skywalker lightsaber at Walmart and I took part in a number of saber duels while we waited.

As embarrassing as all of that is, I tell you this because I want you to understand that I want to protect the “Star Wars” legacy just as much as you do.

Here’s the thing though: more “Star Wars” movies were inevitable. They’re virtual cash machines. They will always kill it at the box office because people like me will wait in line for six hours to see it. So don’t get all upset that they’re actually making more movies. It was always going to happen. There’s no point in dwelling on it.

Something that does merit some worry is the question of who will make them. When George Lucas announced that he was selling Lucasfilm to Disney, my immediate reaction was disgust. I conjured images of Mickey Mouse in a Jedi robe and felt sick to my stomach. However, the more I think about it, the more I think they’re right for the job.

These films will be made in the middle of an era in which fantasy movies are hitting their stride. Possibly the greatest example comes from within Disney itself with its Marvel branch. The Avengers was immensely successful last summer and was fairly entertaining for its purpose. My point is there’s a very clear formula that the new “Star Wars” films will follow.

Whoever writes these films will take a page out of the Christopher Nolan manual on how to write a great fantasy film. They’re going to be darker than we expect and the heroes will have flaws that they probably will never conquer. They’re going to focus on developing deep and intricate characters that will inevitably deliver hopeful monologues at the beginning and end of the movies.

It’s a winning formula and it’s in Disney’s best interest to not screw it up. When the first of the new three hits theaters, I predict a lot of skeptical Star Wars fans will suddenly be a lot more excited about the future. Besides, they can’t screw it up much more than George Lucas did, right? Somehow I don’t see Disney reintroducing Jar Jar Binks.