Moving home might rule

It’s going to be really hard to leave UW-Eau Claire.

This campus and this city have become my home during the last four years, and after I graduate in two weeks, I’m leaving without any plans of coming back.

This campus gave me so many awesome opportunities to meet new people and figure out what I want to do with my life. I’ll be forever grateful to everyone who’s helped me along the way.

I got to share my love of campus with prospective students and their families as a campus ambassador, I guided freshmen through their first year in college as a resident assistant and I spent more than one year as a member of The Spectator staff, solidifying my decision to study journalism and report the news as a career.

Now don’t get me wrong, these experiences were awesome, and I’m definitely ready to move on with my life, but due to the fact that I have zero job leads, it’s a bit harder to be excited about my future and leaving the comforts of college life.

Up until a few days ago, I was disappointed in myself for not having a job and felt like I failed everyone who’s supported me these last four years.

You could even call me bitter and pessimistic, saying things like, ‘If I can’t even get a job after college, what’s the point of having a degree?’ and ‘Why did I work so hard filling my resume with experience if it won’t help me get a job?’

Then, over the weekend, I had an epiphany — moving home is going to be great!

I won’t have to pay rent or cable and internet and electric bills, I won’t have to grocery shop and attempt to cook for myself and I can use the time to really concentrate on my job hunt and find a job I’ll love. I hope.

When I was surfing the web, trying to find some stats for this article (read: trying to make myself feel better), I came across this fact from The Atlantic: More than 50 percent of bachelor’s degree-holders under the age of 25 last year were jobless or underemployed.

So, if you’re a graduating senior without a job, there you go.

You’re not alone in the hunt for a career. I’m telling you not to feel bad, and so is The Atlantic.

We have the rest of our lives to work, so why rush it? The answer is, don’t.

Take the time in between graduating college and finding your first “real” job to do something you’ve always wished you had time to do.

Hang out with your family, go on a roadtrip with all of your old high school friends and cross of a few music festivals on that list you’ve been adding to forever.

Just enjoy this free time while you have it, and don’t stress about the future.