Shocking chase

The advent of the taser allows police officers across the country to effectively bring down and apprehend criminals in a nonlethal manner. When the nodes fly from the “gun” and attach to the culprit, the electrical shock that hits the individual is enough to bring a grown man to the ground.

Recently, police officers in Charlotte, N.C. felt the need to use such a powerful instrument on a 10-year-old boy in a severe lapse of judgment by police officers.

The boy was apparently driving a vehicle and happened to lead police on a 4-mile chase through the outskirts of Charlotte at 2:30 a.m. He ended his journey in a gas station where he ran his vehicle into four police cars. While at the gas station, officers attempted to stop the boy by shooting a taser at him. However, only one of the nodes attached to the boy and he was never shocked.

Though police missed him with the high-power voltage of the taser, they never should have shot the weapon at him in the first place.

First, the parents hold a large responsibility in the situation. Where were they when the boy got into the car? Now parents cannot completely protect their keys, but they should be able to keep tabs on their child, especially at 2:30 a.m. At that time of the morning, a drunk driver leaving the bars could have struck the child or worse.

Aside from their irresponsible behavior of the parents, the police officers were acting irresponsible as well.

There have been complications shown in using a taser on an adult; the consequences of using a taser on a child could be much worse. Also, the car was probably not driving fast in a gas station parking lot, and the window was probably down if they were able to connect one node of the taser on the boy. So, the police could have reached in and opened the door and got the boy out, or instead shot out the tires.

Hindsight is always 20-20, but when events involve children, police officers need to take more consideration in the consequences of their actions than they normally would.