City Council gives OK for upping fines for loud parties without student input

The City Council distanced itself from the students living in Eau Claire Tuesday when it increased the fine for loud parties from $212 to $335. Additional fines of $151 will be given to anyone who doesn’t leave an illegal party after being told to do so by police.

As stated in the Sept. 10 staff editorial in The Spectator, these increased fines are unnecessary and will prove to be ineffective.

The City Council paints an image of wanting student input, but in this case acted as though it doesn’t.

After the Sept. 10 editorial, a member of The Spectator staff was invited to join Student Senate Vice President Kelly Witkowski to discuss student perspectives on this issue with a few city officials.

But though it was pointed out in that meeting that the increased fines target students and help create a double standard in the city, the council proceeded to pass the ordinance.

Police who respond to loud parties are not required to tell who complained about the noise in the first place, opening the door for police to target students even when nobody has complained.

If city officials truly want input from students – and it should, considering the amount of students that live in Eau Claire for most of the year – more than a token meeting with two students should go into an issue that so directly affects students.

Would an open forum with students be more appropriate? Of course. As would a presentation to Student Senate. But neither of these things happened.

Instead of jacking up fines that will not deter loud parties, why can’t the city seek alternatives?

Cooperation between students, non-students and city officials could create a more suitable environment in Eau Claire.

And Eau Claire officials can’t forget that this is a college town.