Analysis of Homecoming as freshman missed mark

During the first few weeks of my freshman year I remember, oh so vividly, the casual conversations I had with upperclassmen about what to expect from our beloved university.

Discussions ranged from finals to how awesome it was that we get an entire month off for winter break to what to do on a weekend. As the weeks went by, and October rose on the horizon our attention was focused on one event: Homecoming. “A time for everyone to get trashed during the day,” I fondly remembered one friend telling me.

I, like every other freshman, mocked the “other” activities that took place during the week. Medallion Hunts were best left up to the St. Paul Winter Carnival, I thought, and what the hell is Varsity Night Live!, anyway?

Basically the week, minus the excessive drinking, reminded me of high school – a place I had been intensely trying to forget. I concluded that Homecoming was only good because it provides a time for everyone to get trashed during the day.

But then I started to realize just how much effort is put into the whole shebang each and every year. In a nutshell, parades don’t just organize themselves. Several organizations put long hours into providing a Homecoming that doesn’t center around the alcohol, and is different from what most people experience in high school.

Sure, most of it is corny school spirit loosely centered around the football game at the end of the week. But it’s stuff like this that you’re going to remember. Those involved in organizations have the privilege to actually be in the parade down Water Street, or just to have fun within the group.

When it comes to the balls of it all, Homecoming is just plain dumb fun – which is essentially what college is all about it. Never mind the classes, the books, or the teachers, I’m here to be dumb and get away with it. Why? Because I’m a college kid.

Let’s evaluate the situation. If you think Homecoming is a useless event that only reminds people of what things were like in high school, don’t get involved. Stay in bed, watch reruns of “Benson” and don’t complain to anybody. And don’t get me wrong, you have every right to do that. “Benson” is a high-class show worthy of its syndication. Just keep it to yourself.

A serious effort is being made to make this school a fun place to be. And at the very least, those that take time out of their schedules that are as busy as anyone else’s should be rewarded in some way.

While you’re out there partying it up and having fun, the organizers and not to mention the Eau Claire and University Police departments are making sure everything goes smoothly.

In a sense, we’re all spoiled brats.

Everything is provided for us. Usually when I want to have fun, I have to do a little planning and make somewhat of an effort, as half-assed as it may be. But during Homecoming, everything is done for me. So I’m gonna soak it all up.

If you’re out there getting trashed during the day this weekend, just don’t forget to look around and be grateful for how much effort other people put into helping you have fun in your short time at college.

And don’t forget to be dumb.