U.S. shouldn’t fuel hate

The idea of a World War III ever occurring has always been in the back of many Americans’ minds, but never has it been so realistic of a thought until now.

The events that tragically unfolded Tuesday morning into the biggest attack on America in the country’s history has made U.S. citizens realize they are not untouchable on their own soil.

Except for the attack by the Japanese on Pearl Harbor during World War II, the United States has not been the site for many acts of war against it.

Officially, America now is at war, leaders say. Unlike previous wars, there is no specific country to fight.

Also, unlike previous enemy leaders, the man the U.S. government says is the mastermind behind the attacks, terrorist leader Osama bin Laden, denies any involvement.

As President Bush and many of the country’s other leaders have said, this is a 21st-century war that no one has seen the likes of before.

The new kind of enemy attacks by blending into society and coming out of nowhere with car bombs and recently, large commercial airplanes.

There is no traditional military battle to fight where armies face off over world domination or possession of land.

As bin Laden and Afghanistan leaders have told their followers, this is a holy war. To them, America stands for all that is evil.

As bin Laden was reported as once saying, “innocent American civilians are as much of an enemy as their military.”

There shouldn’t be any surprise as to why other people in the world hate Americans. This country has always seen itself as No. 1 and, in many ways, it is. But the arrogance, the insistence of trying to control the world and the hypocrisy of some of the nation’s actions at times is what drives the hatred.

This country cannot go to war again and accidentally bomb a building full of innocent people as it did with the Chinese embassy during the Bosnia conflict in the late 90s.

Hundreds of innocent people can’t be bombed to death or left to suffer from U.S. military attacks as the case was in Iraq during Desert Storm.

President Bush, among other U.S. leaders, continues to talk tough and swear to eliminate the enemy. It’s unrealistic, though, to promise to eliminate terrorism.

Even if America at least captures or kills bin Laden, there will probably be revenge to the fullest by his followers for years, possibly to even deadlier levels than seen last week.

America has to be careful. The country cannot drop bombs without care just to intimidate or get some sense of revenge against terrorists.

If America bombs and kills innocent people, such as in Afghanistan, in its attempt to get justice, then we are no better than the terrorists who killed hundreds of Americans.

Yes, those proven to have been involved with the horrific events of Sept. 11, 2001, have to be taken from society.

But this process has to be done in a way that is just and has proof and reason.

The nation’s leaders have done the right thing this past week in trying to stop the racist, unprovoked hatred and violence displayed against innocent Arab-Americans throughout this country after the attacks.

But hopefully during this battle, America doesn’t turn into those types of hateful people, hurting people with no ties to the attacks while conducting themselves in a blind rage of revenge.

If so, America fuels the fire of hate against it and brings on more terrorist attacks.

Many Americans are yelling into media cameras the Biblical verse, “Eye for an eye.” Let’s hope the “eye” America is after is the right one.