Car ride tells story of U.S.

Fate, in the form of a pre-scheduled orthodontist appointment, caused me to go home this past weekend. As I drove the four hours on Friday afternoon to my hometown of Kiel, I was brought to tears many times, by many things along my journey.

The first was the countless number of homes and businesses that displayed the American flag in its entire unwavering splendor. It was shown in all shapes and scopes, from little ones lining driveways or perched on mailboxes, to much larger ones hung off of porches, draped over decks and flying at half-staff.

Special props go out to the family west of Rosendale who have converted their three-story TV antenna into a flagpole.

The second was the amount of businesses that have selflessly sacrificed their promotional spaces with patriotic sayings. No matter what the business – hotel, supermarket, car wash, gas station or fast food restaurant – gone were the familiar promotions like “3 for 99 cents,” or “Buy 2, Get 1 Free.” In their places were the bolder “God Bless America,” “United We Stand” and “God Bless the USA.”

Finally, as I drove closer and closer home, my radio was tuned to News radio 620 AM, WTMJ out of Milwaukee. Not only did the station give me the latest about what was happening out of New York and Washington, but they often went out to the broadcast truck located in Milwaukee’s Brookfield Square Mall. It was there that I learned of the station’s work with its sister television station, Today’s TMJ 4 (Milwaukee’s NBC affiliate), on the United Way’s September 11th Fund.

The purpose of the fund is to help the United Way on its relief efforts of New York City’s Fire & Rescue at ground zero. All the money that is donated goes directly to those that need it the most. By the time I had turned on my radio to WTMJ and got home, a period that lasted roughly three hours, they had gathered more than $30,000 from the mall alone. That didn’t even include the $1 million donation they received from the Harley Davidson Company. One only knows what the Bradley Foundation was donating in the name of the late Jeane Pettit, Milwaukee’s personal angel, who died only two days before the terrorist attacks.

Throughout this tragic time in America’s history we have seen no doubt the best that the American spirit has to offer: long lines at Red Cross blood collection centers, people and businesses donating to causes no matter what the personal strain it has on their own budget and churches packed with those seeking solace in the arms of God.

Why aren’t we like this all the time?

There is no doubt in my mind that somewhere our founding fathers are smiling down on us as we finally start to understand the nation that they built for us. One built on the Judeo-Christian values of fellowship, compassion, piety and the rule of law.

As American life begins to see some sense of normalcy, begin to ask yourself what made these days any different from the rest that are in your life. Think about it.

If you gave blood, come back in eight weeks when the Red Cross will still be there and still have a low supply. If you gave money, what’s stopping you from writing that check the next time?

The only thing that is stopping you is you. Don’t let the essence that is America be a temporary thing; live it everyday of your life.