COLUMN: Mixed messages should be avoided

Mixed messages surround us every day.

The world is viewed in billions of colors, not black and white, and sometimes no really does mean yes.

Although gray areas exist, an attempt should be made to make things make sense whenever possible.

One area in need of clarification is any one of the multiple places on campus buildings where smokers’ stations have been installed directly below no smoking signs.

I don’t smoke and never will. If I did, I’d want to light up next to one of those new nifty smokers’ stations. Ashtrays suggest that smoking is welcome in the immediate area.

But wait – the sign clearly says, “No smoking in this area,” and reinforces it with the international symbol for no smoking.

So could I light up here or not?

Equally confusing scenarios include:

”You are the weakest link … stick around.”

An intersection with a left-turn lane and “no left turn” signs.

”No dogs allowed” on the door of a dog groomer’s business.

”Go to hell” on a church door.

”Enter here” pointing up an exit ramp.

”No loitering” on the back of a bench.

”One way” with arrows pointing both ways.

Some of these examples come from photos posted as jokes on the Web. A photo of a smokers’ stations with its neighboring sign would fit right in.

The photo could stand alone with the catchline “Mixed message?” and make the same editorial statement this column expresses.

The university has a policy that smoking should only occur at the one clearly marked entrance of each building.

This isn’t happening, and there hasn’t been any bright ideas on how such a silly policy ever could be enforced.

If the policy isn’t going to be enforced, the ugly signs should be taken down. People will continue to smoke wherever they feel like outdoors and respect the no smoking signs posted indoors.

Or, if the policy is supposed to really limit smoking to one entrance, that’s where the smokers’ stations belong. The stations look nicer, take up less room and can’t have regular garbage set in them like the large open-top outdoor ashtrays.

Just please make up your mind, before everyone starts ignoring stop signs.