Mississippi should have control over own flag

The Confederate flag has once again become the center of controversy.

Voters in the state of Mississippi recently voted, nearly 2-1, to keep the Confederate banner as part of the state’s flag. The flag is a symbol of hatred, of racism and of a war that ended more than a century ago. Mississippi is the last state to keep the Confederacy symbol on its flag.

As backwards as this makes the southern state look, it has every right to keep the Confederate symbol on its flag. The flag is a representation of the state and should not be altered by outsiders.

Mississippi voters overwhelmingly supported keeping the symbol. When civil rights leader James Meredith came to campus this year, he called Mississippi the most racist state in the country.

And this vote gives every indication that he was absolutely right.

But just imagine if there was some sort of national mandate on the Confederate flag. That would only open the door for the federal government to make even more regulations that compromise state rights.

One of the strengths of this nation is the individual rights of a state.

The only thing people outside the state can do is make Mississippi understand that the Confederate flag is a symbol of hate. But it shouldn’t be forced into anything.

This country was built on unpopular ideas and open discourse. That should not be changed.

The design of a state flag is something that people must take care of on their own.

Civil Rights groups may threaten with a boycott, and they also should have the right to do as they please. But Mississippi is not going to be swayed easily with so many people already against changing its ways.

As frustrating as it is, the people of Mississippi should have control over their own flag.

Even if it does advertise them as a bunch of racists.