EDITORIAL: Not enough: Student input on building needed from start

What to do with the campus school has been an issue for some time. In the fall, the university began a study to find if it would be worth it to renovate or rebuild the building formerly known as Park School. The building houses the Children’s Center and other offices.

The university is looking into the space needs of various departments. Opportunity for student input will be provided by an upcoming Chancellor’s Roundtable. This is an important issue that needs more student input than a simple Roundtable meeting.

The university should have included student input from the beginning. Too often administrative decisions are made while students are left in the shadows.

There should be more of an effort to inform students what the options are for the campus school. Allowing for student input at the upcoming Roundtable is nice, but administrators should reach out more. It’s almost as if they expect the students automatically to be informed of what is going on around the university.

It is remarkable how long an issue can be drawn out without consulting students.

All possibilities must be considered as to what to do with the building. Administrators also should listen to concerns of student organizations, not just academic departments.

Organizations must be involved in the discussions before any decision is made. It would be unfortunate if an organization would be moved suddenly without ever being informed. When the administration says it is getting student input on decisions, it needs to make clear what the input is and where it is coming from.

Few students know of the details of the campus school, and even fewer know that the administration is calling on them for input.

It’s good the university is encouraging student input on this matter, but it should have been looking for it a long time ago.