There’s more to holiday than just dating

Love enters the air we breathe and the thoughts in our heads on Valentine’s Day. Many who have that special someone this time of year savor that they weren’t left alone watching another romance movie by themselves.

And for the rest of the population, the ugly truth slapped us in the face once again. It’s just another day. So, this is for those who await the shining moment when all of the heart-shaped candies have been eaten, boxes of chocolates have been sold and the sight of wasted paper for Valentine’s Day has been cleared.

Some of us realize life does go on if you spend, what is said to be a magical day, alone. What exactly do I choose to do differently on a day such as Valentine’s?

Well, nothing outrageous or spectacular, but usually it isn’t boring and I am not devastated. Shopping, dinner with friends and a movie or two can pretty much lighten the mood for anyone with or without a certain someone.

Bowling with your best pals isn’t a bad idea, either.

Now, I know what you’re thinking. Hold your questions and put your hands down. I know it may seem totally unbelievable, a vixen such as myself has to spend this day without that “special someone,” but it just goes to show that anyone can be left attending social functions stag.

All kidding aside, there are a lot of people who think that this holiday is just a lot of wasted ink on your calendar every year.

So how does one get past the negativity posed by the idea of being alone? Well, first you have to realize you aren’t alone. There are a ton of us solos around to hang out with. Whoever said that you can’t spend Valentine’s Day with the people that you really love – the people who know more than anyone else about you?

People such as your best friend, a parent or even a visit to your favorite grandparents can lighten your mood as well as theirs.

I know this may sound corny, but just think, when was the last time you took the time out to really show someone just how you feel, even if it was your relatives?

I am not going to be a hypocrite and tell everyone they should have made their parents a Valentine’s gift and deliver them flowers and candy.

But hey, if you don’t know how to make the best of this holiday, these are just some suggestions.

I spent my Valentine’s Day with the real special ones in my life – my best friends and a great movie.