Morning-after pill shouldn’t be used as contraceptive

The proposal to terminate the sale of the morning-after contraceptive pill was rejected Monday by Britain’s House of Lords in hopes that the pill may be a link to the solution for Europe’s highest teen-age pregnancy rate.

Levonelle-2 and Schering PC4 are two post-contraception pills that can be taken within 72 hours of intercourse to prevent a pregnancy. These pills block the fertilized egg from implanting itself in the uterus.

The drugs are available over-the-counter in several European countries and, until this year, were available only by prescription in Britain.

In an ideal world, there wouldn’t be teen-age pregnancies or unwanted children. And in this ideal world, deadly diseases would be few and far between.

News flash – we don’t live in an ideal world. And a $30 pill isn’t the answer.

The morning-after pill only strengthens the idea that biology can be reversed. Yes, the medications are proven to do so, but that isn’t the moral answer to the high birth rate by young adults in Britain and around the world. At the time of taking the pill, the potential mother already would have conceived, making the contraceptive an early-stage abortion.

And the fact that there’s an over-the-counter abortion pill available in Europe is terrifying. They could at least make it less convenient. And because this pill is so readily available, it only adds to the threat of it becoming just another type of birth control. Baroness Gould, a member of the governing Labor Party who is president of the Family Planning Association, urged peers to “accept the reality” that there are teen pregnancies in Britain. In a situation as serious as unwanted and uncared-for children, reality should never be accepted.

There are many aspects of so-called “reality” that shouldn’t be looked at and brushed off. We’re not accepting cancer as “just one of those things.” Scientists are busy agonizing day in and day out for cures, and patients are becoming debilitated from chemotherapy after treatment. Why should pregnancies be any different?

Although treating teen pregnancies with medication may sound like a good idea, the morning-after pill is a cop-out. The teens are letting their greedy desires take over and adults just neglect sex education. It’s easier for teens to pop a pill rather than be educated by the lazy adults in this country and around the world.

By giving teens an out after already they have made their mistake is only generating a deeper problem. There is no reason that any woman, teen or adult should be given the right to act in greed and later take a pill to reverse the consequences and be allowed to continue the cycle.

If you’re having sex in the first place, you better be ready to deal with any consequence that could come of it, regardless if you’re using protection. Not all people in this world are smart.

Having sex makes babies. Having sex transmits diseases. And once you’ve made the mistake, there should be no turning back.

So now I ask myself this question: Morality issues aside, what’s the most practical solution to this growing pregnancy trend? I don’t have an answer other than education.

The United States is dealing with similar issues to Britain’s. However, there are other ways to go about curbing the increasing problem. Look at all of the teens in this country who haven’t had a child at an early age. Obviously parents and society in general have taught these teens a thing or two about sexual consequences.