New year woes

It has arrived, and if you didn’t notice, it’s almost a month in. Yeah, you know what I’m talking about. The good year that is now known as “Y2K1.”

One better than its mother Y2K – and we all remember what happened, and really what didn’t happen, in the deuce-triple zero.

Let’s face it, Y2K was the biggest disappointment since “Robocop 3.”

The year was supposed to start with a bang – the bang that ended the world as we knew it. But nothing happened. Millions prepared, expecting the worst. Those that mocked the apocalyptic predictions still had that “what if” fear lodged in the back of their minds.

Everyone waited and waited and then … nothing!

The absent bang at the start of Y2K was a sign of things to come. A big, fat bowl of nothingness.

I can only hope the “Oh-one” (’01) will provide the sauce its predecessor failed to deliver.

So three weeks in and what do we have? Once again, nothing. The Super Bowl is looking to be as interesting as a pre-season game, The Backstreet Boys are once again dominating the pop charts and Richard Dean Anderson is still not making any new “MacGyver” episodes.

Y2K1 has 11 months to shape up, or else this world will be thrown into a perpetual state of boredom.

With everything still out there waiting to happen, there is a lot of potential for this year. In other words, we’re in a lot of trouble.

The remedy? Reunion tours and lots of them.

It’s what made the late `90s so remarkably awesome.

It can’t be your ordinary reunion for a rock `n’ roll band, either. If a band is still around but has new members, bring back the old ones, no matter what.Who cares if the lead singer died overdosing on drugs while a plane crashed into his tour bus? Bring him back!

The music industry has been under a lot of fire lately. Many accuse it of spitting out the same style of teeny-boppin’ pop acts. Here’s a perfect opportunity to redeem itself.The good year 2001 has the potential of going down as the most sensational year of them all.

There are a lot of other ways Y2K1 can go down as a legendary year besides reunion tours.

This is what I’ve really been getting at this entire time…

MacGYVER!

The best hero television has to offer is some wimp NBC named Ed. This is just poor at best.MacGyver could whoop Ed and at the same time teach all his loyal viewers how anything is possible with a paper clip, a box of tissue and a piece of gum. If MacGyver does decide to make a comeback, there’s a good chance we’ll all find out what the heck the Phoenix Foundation actually is.

These things are only the beginning. I really don’t want this year to be another big, fat bowl of nothingness. Most likely 2001 will be a disappointment. But don’t fear, Y2K2 is just a year away.