EDITORIAL: Be fat, be happy

Most of my life I’ve lived in fear. Fear about how I looked, which affected how I felt about myself. Fear that nobody ever would love me unless I could change the way I looked. Then I read a remarkable book, one that helped me be able to say this without feeling ashamed: “I am fat!”

The book “Fat! So?” by Marylin Wann is based on her underground magazine of the same name.

The magazine’s motto is “Life is too short for self-hatred and celery sticks.”

After reading this book and another inspiring book called “Wake Up, I’m Fat!” by Emmy award-winning actress Camryn Manheim, I finally was able to get over my deepest fears and realize I have to love myself for who I am. The books help dispel myths about being fat and even cite advantages to being fat.

First of all, both books encourage the reader to use the word “fat” – to reclaim the word so no one can use it against you. Has some idiot ever come up to you and said, “You sure are fat,” or any type of insult equally as clever?

Well, just say, “Yes, I am fat,” or “Thank you for stating the obvious.” My favorite comeback is, “I’m trying to get into the “Guinness Book of World Records.” These comebacks are much better than letting that idiot make you feel bad.

Secondly, why live in fear? You are fat – so what? Fearing anything only holds you back. Why be afraid of fat? Fat is a necessary thing. For women it protects against osteoporosis and allows us to be fertile. It also prevents wrinkles and protects your internal organs.

Plus, a recent study done by Weight Watchers Magazine, of all places, says fat women are twice as likely to reach orgasm. Yippee!

Another benefit of fat is that it keeps us warm during these cold Wisconsin winters.

What would be the diet industry’s response to all this fat loving? They would say, “You should be afraid because fat kills.” Of course, the diet industry makes $40 billion a year off people who are afraid of being fat, and 95 percent of people on diets gain it all back within three years. Studies have even shown that gaining and losing weight (or “yo-yo dieting”) is actually worse for you than staying at one steady weight.

Well, seriously, what about my health? Is being fat detrimental to being a healthy person? Wann points out in her book that a Jan. 1, 1998, study done by the “New England Journal of Medicine” came up with the conclusion that they didn’t even know for sure if it really was unhealthy to be fat.

The study said: “Given the enormous social pressure to lose weight, one might suppose there is clear and overwhelming evidence of the risks of obesity and the benefits of weight loss. Unfortunately, the data linking being overweight and death, as well as the data showing the beneficial effects of weight loss, is limited, fragmentary and often ambiguous.”

That’s not to say you shouldn’t be as healthy as possible – eat healthy and exercise, but not with a goal of weight loss in mind. Do it just because you want to feel good at any weight.

Finally, all you people out there who are fat – admit it! Say, “I am fat and I like it!” Be proud of who you are and figure out some good things about being fat.

I’ll help you by showing you part of my list: I know people really like me for who I am, being fat makes me more open to other people who are different, being fat gives me confidence and being fat means I have more places to tattoo (I have four already!).

Now, add your own to the list, and may you be happy with yourself for the rest of your life.