Hundreds flock to the 10th annual Banbury Art Crawl

Kailin Schumacher

More stories from Kailin Schumacher

85 artists shared their work at local art event

Some+of+the+art+pieces+featured+at+the+Banbury+Art+Crawl.+

Some of the art pieces featured at the Banbury Art Crawl.

Photo by Kailin Schumacher

Photo by Kailin Schumacher

Photo by Kailin Schumacher

The 10th annual Banbury Art Crawl kicked off Friday night where hundreds of community members wandered the halls of buildings 10 and 13 in Banbury Place checking out creations from 85 vendors.

Walking around the two-day event, one could find anything from pottery and paintings to scarves and stuffed animals for purchase. Aside from all the sculptures, woodworking, jewelry and origami, the event also offered food, music and art demonstrations for people of all ages to enjoy.

Christina Geissler, the co-chair of the event, who has worked on the art crawl for the last three years said this year the focus was making this an event for the whole family to get involved by providing hands-on scrap marbling and pour-painting activities

“Not only are you coming to see all the amazing art, but you’re coming for an art experience,” Geissler said. “I want kids of all ages to get involved with art and I think this is the way to do it.”

Along with a new goal in mind, the art crawl also featured a new logo that they spread all over town with signs and stickers that were available at the event.

The crawl featured artists from Wisconsin and Minnesota, nine of whom were new to the event. Many artists, including Evan Hestekin, a potter, said the annual art celebration felt like coming home.

“It’s nice to come back,” Hestekin said. “I grew up in Eau Claire and it’s fun to come back and see all the changes. It became such a big renaissance place that’s heading in a great direction.”

As mixed media artist Christy Skuban re-arranged her handmade necklaces and wall art, she chatted with locals stopping in. She said the event was much more than an art show, but a place to reconnect with friends.

“It’s kind of enjoyable to meet up with new friends, see some new faces and do some self-promotions,” Skuban said. “I love coming here because it’s all about building that sense of community and coming back every year just makes that bond stronger.”

While the art crawl was a little slower than previous years, organizers said they are sure it is due to the weather. But still, artists and consumers agreed that February is the perfect time to hold the art crawl.

“It’s a good time, February,” said Mariella TerBeest-Schladweiler a fabric artist from Minnesota. “There is nothing going on now and it’s a great time to get people out of the house and back into the community.”

Schumacher can be reached at [email protected].

Kailin Schumacher, Staff Writer

Kailin Schumacher is a senior journalism student with a multimedia communications minor at UW-Eau Claire. She enjoys camera work and editing both for news and travel. When she’s not at The Spectator you can find her at TV-10, Blugold Radio Sunday or at home playing her ukulele. Kailin will graduate in May and work in television.