Holiday events spread cheer throughout community

Elizabeth Gosling

More stories from Elizabeth Gosling

Many holiday activities are free, close to campus, and will get you in the holiday spirit

This year’s Holiday Concert will feature choral, band and orchestra ensembles on Dec. 6 at 2 and 5 p.m. in Zorn.

As the snow falls and the semester comes to a close, you have to admit, the holidays are right around the corner.

Eau Claire has many events that can help promote the holiday spirit and allow a break from studying, homework and stress.

Whether one enjoys listening to live music, going on a sleigh ride, seeing light displays or all of the above, there is a seasonal event for everyone.

On campus, there are live musical ensembles with concerts in December. The Chamber Choir has 16 members and will be entertaining at the Madrigal Dinner in Elizabethan clothing at 6:30 p.m. on Dec. 4 and 5 in the Ojibwe Ballroom in Davies Student Center, costing $32.50 which includes a meal.

Jazz I and II ensembles will have their concert at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 4 in Gantner Concert Hall, in Haas Fine Arts Center.

The Holiday concert will take place at 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. Dec. 6 in Zorn Arena. This is an annual concert with the choral ensembles, University Symphony Orchestra and Wind Symphony band. For $3 you receive bleacher seats and for $5, floor area seating.

The Bridge string quartet hosts their concert at 7:30 p.m. the same day Dec. 6, in Phillips Recital Hall in Haas. This event is free for students with your Blugold student ID.

If you’d rather get cozy and watch Christmas movies, the UAC has got you covered. From 9-11 p.m. on Friday Dec. 4 at The Lookout in Hilltop Center. “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” and “Elf” will show as a part of their double feature night, free of charge.

“A Celtic Christmas”, presented by Tomaseen Foley is coming to campus at 7:30 p.m. on Dec. 8 in Schofield Auditorium and tells a Christmas story accompanied by music. For students, this event costs $3.50 and for UW-Eau Claire faculty and staff, $15.

Off-campus events

There are many events as well to get into the holiday spirit in the Eau Claire community.

If you enjoy seeing Christmas lights and decoration, the Christmas village is open during the evening hours from now until Jan. 1 at Irvine Park in Chippewa Falls.

“I like going around to see the different light displays in the city,” junior public relations student Leland Orfield said.

Another option for adventurous folks is Mount Simon, known to be quite a thrilling sled ride. Be warned, parks and recreation does not support you if you get hurt.

However, on Eau Claire’s north side, there might be a treasure in terms of hills perfect for sledding called Pinehurst Hill. Open for skiing and snowboarding too, the hill is located on Delbert Road.

Ride in a horsedrawn wagon and see reindeer from Santa’s sleigh at “Christmastime in the City,” from noon to 5 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 6 in the parking lot across from the Children’s Museum of Eau Claire.

Katherine Ceschi, a junior chemistry education student said she enjoys spending the holidays with her friends and family, especially when everyone is around.

No matter your plans for the holidays, the Chippewa Valley has many events to spread cheer.

Elizabeth Gosling, Currents Editor
Elizabeth Gosling is the Currents Editor and a senior journalism and French education student. This is Elizabeth’s fourth semester with The Spectator. Besides speaking French and reporting on the Eau Claire arts scene, she enjoys paddle boarding, reading and rock climbing.