Art attack

Annual art show open to all students

As part of the Foster Art Gallerys exhibit Shading, Australian artist Catherine Schieve creates art that combines hieroglyphics and music. © 2014 Elizabeth Jackson

As part of the Foster Art Gallery’s exhibit “Shading”, Australian artist Catherine Schieve creates art that combines hieroglyphics and music. © 2014 Elizabeth Jackson

Story by Glen Olson, Staff Writer

The Foster Gallery will hold its 57th Annual Juried Student Art Show April 3 -24.  The winners will be announced and awards presented at the opening reception on April 3 from 7:30 to 9 p.m.

The contest show is open to all students enrolled at the university during this academic year, including December graduates.
Pictures or video of submitted works are due electronically by February 28 at 12 p.m. to be considered.

Tom Wagener, Director of the Foster Gallery, said he wanted to inform students of it and hopes to see an increased involvement from non-art students.

He said he has seen about 2 to 3 per year in the past, from a variety of different departments.

“It’s funded by the segregated fees,” Wagener said. “So we want to give back to the students at-large and give them that opportunity.”

The contest is open to all art styles, including video, as long as it has been made since Feb. 1. Artists can submit up to three pieces, as long as they aren’t resubmitted.

This year’s juror is Virginian artist and ceramist Margaret Boozer who also runs Red Dirt Studio in Mt. Rainier, Md.

Once contestants submit work, the submissions will be sent to Boozer electronically, and she will review the pictures to come up with a preliminary list, solidifying it once she reviews the work in-person at the end of March.

Wagener said usually there is not a difference in the two lists, but occasionally the jurors will feel differently about something in person.

First through third place winners receive cash prizes, as do five honorable mentions. All art accepted into the show will be displayed in the gallery throughout the show.

Last year, two senior students won the top three places, Catelyn Mailloux won first and third place for two sculptures. Calvin Grier placed second for a furniture piece.

In total, 169 entries were submitted for the 2013 show, and 82 works by 60 artists were accepted into the exhibit.

Wagener said he hopes they will have more submissions in the future and said students who are interested can contact him for more information and submission instructions at [email protected]. The link to the instructions will be included on the Foster Gallery page of the UW-Eau Claire website.

This will be the final big show of the year for the Foster Gallery, so Wagener said he would like to see even more involvement.

“All are welcome,” Wagener said. “And non-art students have been accepted before.”