Summer trends

FashionedIn_Summertrendsonline

It’s spring! And that means it’s time to start thinking about your summer wardrobe.

Instead of just pulling out the regular old jean shorts and t-shirts, the trends for this spring and summer might mean you’re dressing a little fancier.

Along with getting the lowdown on the latest fashion trends, UW-Eau Claire students and The Spectator staff take on their favorite and least favorite fashion trends.

Junior Hayden Anderson falls in line with bright blue and yellow being hot colors for men this spring and summer. These two colors have been all over the runway for spring 2013.

“I’m attracted to the clashing colors. It’s kind of cool,” Anderson said about his favorite fashion trend of all time. He added he isn’t a fan of 1980’s fashion, the over-the-top statements and rebellion that the fashion from that decade stood for.

Women should stay on the lookout for fashion that harkens back to the 1920s and 1960s for fashion inspiration. With “The Great Gatsby” hitting theaters soon, drop-waist dresses are sure to be everywhere this summer.

Drop-waist dresses can work great as an easy swimsuit cover-up. The 1920’s trend works really well for hot summer parties, but avoid the fringe, which looks great for your Halloween costume, but not so chic when you’re out on the town.

If you want to look like a flapper, consider jewel colors like green or blue with subtle beading.

The ponytail in its many forms — twisted, side, high, low — has made a comeback (has it ever gone out of style?). Eau Claire senior Kiaya Albers said the ponytail is one of her all-time favorite fashion trends.

“(The ponytail) is a versatile trend … your hair’s out of your face, you can do anything,” Albers said.

Hair trends also are reminiscent of the 1920’s and 1960’s fashion trends occurring this year. A deep side part takes on the 1920’s style, while a messy bouffant  takes on the 1960’s style.

So get out and look for summer fashion that isn’t grungy shorts and t-shirts.

The Spectator Staff reviews their favorite and least favorite fashion trends:

Least favorite fashion trend: “I know (fur is) supposed to be timeless and fabulous, but it’s just not. And it’s
expensive.”

Favorite: “Sundresses — those never go out of style.”

— Rita Fay, staff writer

Least favorite: “The fact that (there are) denim jackets for men disgusts me. It is the worst possible thing to have ever happened to a retail store.”

— Bridget Cooke, staff writer

Least favorite: “Jeans with a ridiculous amount of sequins, especially on the back pockets.”

—Haley Zblewski, Chief Copy Editor