Potter fans turn out for Yule Ball

Harry Potter has been known as the Boy Who Lived. But for one night, a campus group aimed to make him the Boy Who Danced.

Every March the Student Ministry of Magic and Sutherland Hall host the Yule Ball. The dance is based on the Yule Ball in the Harry Potter novel Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Julia Rizzi, president of The Student Ministry of Magic said, “Yule Ball is something that has been fun to do every year because you can get more people to come that didn’t know our club exists. And it’s fun for people who aren’t even fans of Harry Potter because they can get dressed-up and eat free food and hangout and dance.”

To appeal to a broader audience, junior Kate Koslowski,  who organized Yule Ball this year, said they made the event less gimmicky.

“We kept the Harry Potter theme more contained,” Koslowski said.

March 8 marked the third annual Yule Ball, which got its beginning when the Student Ministry of Magic — an on-campus Harry Potter fan club — was founded.

Sara Hansen, vice president of the Student Ministry of Magic, said the event is held in March because the Yule Ball is held in the winter season.

Also with the Harry Potter theme, attendees were encouraged to dress up as their favorite Potter character, Hansen said.

In order to enter the magical world of Harry Potter and the Yule Ball brought to Eau Claire for one night, attendees had to find Platform 9 ¾ and take the Hogwarts Express. In other words they had to find the door to the basement. The door was covered in brick decorations that made it hard to see.

Freshman Logan Cooley said the decorations were unbelievable.

“I walked past the door, and I missed it,” Cooley said with a laugh. “I felt like an idiot, but it was tremendous.”

The basement, decorated to imitate Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, hosted an abundance of Harry Potter themed foods and activities.

“We have Fluffy chow, which is actually just puppy chow, licorice wands, pretzel rods and popcorn,” Hansen said.

In the background, a Harry Potter movie played. There was Butter Beer Pong and face-in-hole cutouts in which people could be characters. Also, as with most balls, there was music — a DJ to be precise.

“The dancing is always a big hit,” Koslowski said.

Even with less time to plan Yule Ball this year than in previous years, Koslowski said that “it did not have a big effect on the end result. It was still fun and we still had a good turn out.”

The Student Ministry of Magic also said that it was an impressive turn out and they hope for the same if not more next year.

“Harry Potter still has a huge fan base even though it has been years since a book or movie came out,” Koslowski said.