Building bridges between cultures

The act of experiencing diversity in culture is part of everyday life.

From dining out at ethnically unique restaurants, to admiring new clothing trends or turning on the radio and listening to broadcasted music, diversity in culture surrounds you on a day-to-day basis.

Have you ever wondered what the world would look like without culture?

International Culture Night will revolve around this question with the theme, “A World with No Culture.” The event presents students with the opportunity to better understand international diversity. Put on solely by international students, it will take place at 7 p.m. on March 7 in Schofield Auditorium.

Kristine Rivall, the publicity manager, said planning for the event began last fall. A play will follow two students into the future where due to technology and globalization there is one single culture.

“We follow them as they stumble on a time machine and go back into time and different countries, witnessing different expressions of culture and coming to appreciate it,” Rivall said.

In addition to the play, the event will also include folk songs and dances, a global fashion show featuring international students modeling pieces that represent their homelands, and food, according to a press release.

Senior Elina Lane, a liberal studies student majoring in society and advocacy, attended the event last year and plans on attending again this year.

“I am attending to be reminded that there is a bigger world beyond UW-Eau Claire and to commend the bravery of those who dare to travel beyond their homelands and cultures and to validate our diverse and shared humanity,” Lane said.

Countries represented this year include: India, Pakistan, Indonesia, Chile, Malaysia, Ireland, Mexico, Africa, Serbia and China.  The Hmong Student Association will also be present and will sing a piece.

Recipes were submitted by international students and several different types of Asian and South American cuisine is to be expected, Rivall said.

“The aroma of spices, some being familiar, makes one want to never leave the hallway,” Lane said.

The event is sponsored by the Malaysian Abroad Diversified student organization, the Residence Hall Association, and Blugold Dining, as well as Eau Claire businesses Egg Roll Plus, Long Chang Market, China Buffet, Pad Thai and Just Local Food.

Rivall said last year about 320 people attended and around the same amount are expected this year.

Check spectatornews.com for an update on the event!