Ready for the mistletoe

Holiday parties are right around the corner, and a great makeup look is needed. Dark lipsticks are a dramatic trend filling the pages of fashion and beauty magazines. From burgundy to hot pink, here is your guide to this season’s lipsticks.

Burgundy was a hit on the runways this year, and can be translated into your beauty routine. The trick to not looking like Elvira in this dark lipstick is to keep the rest of your face fresh. A swipe of mascara and a natural-looking cheek let the lipstick take center stage. For a holiday party, pair it with a dark emerald dress. Covergirl’s LipPerfection in “Euphoria” is a nice burgundy for about $5.

Bright red is the perennial holiday go-to shade, for obvious reasons. A bonus of red lipstick: a blue-based — meaning a cooler toned — red will make your teeth look whiter. Revlon’s Super Lustrous in “Love That Red” or “Cherries in the Snow” are available for less than $5 at drugstores.

Who doesn’t love hot pink? Bright pink lipstick can brighten up any dreary winter day. Pair a shade like Revlon’s Just Bitten Kissable balm stain in “Sweetheart” with a cat eye and a black and white dress.

It’s important to have smooth, moisturized lips when wearing bright or dark lipsticks. Every flaw will show. If you’re wearing lipstick often, use a sugar lip scrub once a week to get rid of pesky dead skin. Fresh’s “Sugar Lip Polish” costs $22.50. Or you could just make your own by combining a teaspoon of sugar, a teaspoon of olive oil and a drop or two of peppermint extract.

To get perfect, stay-all-day (or night) application, sweep on a layer of same color lip stain as a base. If you feel you need to line your lips, take a small lip brush and line the outer corners and Cupid’s bow with the lipstick you plan on using. This way, the color will be the exact same and you’ll get the fullness you would from a regular lip liner.

Lip brushes make application more precise. Apply a first layer of lipstick using a lip brush and dab it into your lip. In between layers, you can apply a little bit of translucent powder (mineral face powder works well) and apply the second layer of lipstick from the tube, still dabbing it onto your lips.

And with that, you’re all ready for a night on the town ­— or just looking fabulous during classes!