For your entertainment

Each week, a Spectator staff member gives you a heads up on a few things you can test out over the weekend, from new movies to restaurants you may not have tried yet.

“Life of Pi”

This film, which is set for release on Nov. 21, is a film adaptation of the wildly popular book of the same name. Main character Pi Patel has to look deep within himself to keep his wits as he is stranded in the middle of the ocean with a Bengal tiger.
There is a plot twist around every corner, and an unsettling yet satisfying conclusion to the story. It will be interesting to see how director Ang Lee of the movie handled some of the scenes; there are some pretty complicated scenes that will be hard to re-create. However, from what I’ve seen in the trailer, it looks like it will be quite enjoyable.

“A Carolina Jubilee” by The Avett Brothers

This spectacular set of recordings was actually released by The Avett Brothers in 2003, but the album is set for re-release Nov. 19. It became hard to find due to the continued global success of the
brothers and the stellar content of the album.
Traditional bluegrass sounds combined with rock roots and an incredible amount of energy creates a unique and exciting blend of sounds. From the screaming choruses in “The Traveling Song” (yes, they literally scream, which is cooler than it sounds) to raw, sweeping duets like “Smoke In Our Lights,” it’s hard not to fall in love with the unpolished emotion the Avetts are famous for.
If you like what you hear in “A Carolina Jubilee,” you should definitely check out their most recent album, “The Carpenter,” which was released in September.