Trending with Haley Zblewski: Nail art

It used to be that over-the-top manicures were something saved for special events: proms, weddings, things like that. Fingernails adorned with just one color is a thing of the past. Now adorning your fingernails with roses, leopard print or painting the galaxies on them is becoming more of a normal, everyday accessory for women around the world.

The online universes of Tumblr and Pinterest are filled with albums and blogs dedicated to nail art, from photos to tutorials.

Ombre nails are one of the simplest ways to try out the trend. Just take two (or more) shades of the same color, or mix it up with different colors. Other than the polish, all you need is a plastic sandwich baggie, a toothpick and a makeup sponge. Dab a decent amount of both of the polishes right next to each other on the plastic bag, to the point where they’re pretty much touching.

Next, take the toothpick and swirl the two shades together in the middle where they meet. Take your makeup sponge and press it down onto the polish a couple of times, then press the sponge to your nail, ever so slightly moving it up and down. It might take a few layers before you get the color you want, but the end result is sure to look great.