Keep it scary

This year, for the first time, the 48 Hour Video Project will be sponsored by the UW-Eau Claire University Activities Commission. The group decided on this year’s theme of “scary stuff,” which the project’s creator, Rob Mattison, found to be fitting.

“I wanted to do horror, but I said, ‘I don’t want to go zombies only, I don’t want to go vampires only,’” Mattison said. “One of the students said, ‘What about just scary stuff?’ and I said, ‘That’s fine with me, man.’”

Mattison, a self-professed horror fanatic, started the project in 2004 when he worked at Community TV and brought his idea to campus last year when he got a job in the video services department of
the university.

The 48 Hour Video Project is a film contest where group or individual entrants have 48 hours from the time they sign up to make a scary movie. The films can run anywhere from one to 10 minutes, but Mattison said those that run much longer than that will be deducted points in the judging process.

This year’s project starts 7 p.m. Friday, so groups will have until around 7 p.m. Sunday to turn their films over to Mattison. A screening of all the movies will be held on Nov. 20 in the Woodland Theater
in Davies Center.

UAC will be helping with setting up the meeting on Friday, as well as participating with the judging and hosting the screening next month. Alyssa Jo Kufahl, chair of UAC’s Films Committee, said the group was
looking for something different to present on campus, and Mattison’s project gave them an opportunity to do just that.

“We’re just really excited to be doing this and we hope it goes over well,” said Kufahl, who added that UAC would be interested in sponsoring the project again
in the future.

In previous years, people participating in the project had to pay an entry fee. But this year, Mattison said the project will be free of charge in hopes of getting more people to make films.

Mattison said several people who have participated in the project in the past, including some from outside of Eau Claire, will be returning this year. He also said four groups comprised of Eau Claire students have expressed their
intent to make a film.

For Mattison, the project is about one thing above all else.

“I want it to be fun,” Mattison said. “Even if you don’t think you’re a filmmaker, I want you to come and try it.”

Those interested in taking part in the project can meet at 7 p.m. Friday in the Student Center in Davies Center.