Across the universe

When it comes to studying abroad, Colleen Marchwick, a study abroad coordinator, said many students choose locations such as the U.K. or Australia because of their similar ties to European history and a shared language with the United States. But there are several other study abroad options that allow students to comfortably immerse themselves in a totally different culture.

Ghana

Collin Weyers, a junior philosophy major, traveled to Ghana in spring of 2012 for his study abroad experience. Traveling around Ghana, Weyers would wait at a bus stop where the location would be called out. After having only two scheduled trips with his program and limited time in the classroom, Weyers was free to go it on his own.

“That was the thrill of it,” he said.

While staying there, Weyers discovered Ghana is all about soccer. Some basketball is played, but when it comes to sports, Ghana is soccer, soccer, soccer.

Ghanaians are also very fond of Barack Obama. In fact, they have pictures of him on school supplies, Weyers said. They take
their politics seriously, putting posters up to show their affiliation.

When it comes to Ghanaian food, meat is a luxury, especially red meat. To have a hamburger is high status, but chicken is more common. Most of the food specialties in Ghana are cooked in oil. One of Weyers’ favorite Ghanaian foods was fried plantain, a cross between a banana and a potato.

Turkey

Joey Marek, a senior operations management major, is traveling to Turkey this winter. Marek is currently in a class to prepare himself for his travels.

Marek is currently studying the Turkish language and said it’s interesting because Turkish doesn’t have any connection with English.

The language, new culture, and different people are all reasons why people should travel to Turkey, Marek said.

The Turkish people are warm and caring, similar to those in the Midwest culture, Marek said.

Women dress modestly. They cover their hair, but not with a veil, Marek said. Men dress somewhat similarly to the styles in the United States. All in all, fashion in Turkey is somewhat caught between traditional and modern because Turkey is a part of the European Union.

Turkey is also one of the biggest countries in the world for tourism, Marek said.

Turkey’s cuisine is Mediterranean. Lots of bread and fruit is eaten, and tea is served at every meal.

South Korea

Tara Young, a junior psychology major, traveled to South Korea in the summer of 2012. Young lived in the dorms with three roommates; two were from China and one was from Korea, so there was a great exposure to other cultures, she said.

Despite the heat in South Korea, shorts and tank tops aren’t common. “When it’s sunny, they’d have an umbrella,” Young said. “It’s more natural to be white.” Women in South Korea wear high heels all the time, Young said.

Most people live in apartments because the cities are full. Houses are found in the country.

When it comes to food, side dishes are a prevalent part of life in South Korea.  Several side dishes are served in fancy
little dishes. Some side dishes include rice and fermented cabbage with a peppery sauce. Mandu, a dumpling with pork and veggies steamed or fried that can be dipped in soy sauce, was Young’s favorite Korean dish.