The Channel Surfer: Beauty and the Beast

Making a movie into a modern-day show has always been something that I have found interesting. I like how creators can take a two-hour movie and produce it into something bigger with more depth.

That’s what originally drew me to the show, “Beauty and the Beast” was which airs at 8 p.m. on Thursdays on The CW. But it is actually a remake of a show that aired on CBS in 1987.

Regardless of whether or not the show came from a movie or is a remake, I think this is one of the best new shows on TV so far
this year.

Situated mainly in New York, protagonist Catherine “Cat” Chandler (Kristin Kreuk, “Smallville”, “Chuck”) is a no-nonsense homicide detective. When she was younger she witnessed the murder of her mother. Cat would have been next, but a mysterious man saved her from the same fate. Cat knows what she saw, which was a combination of a man and creature, but no one believes her.

Time has passed but Cat still hasn’t forgotten about that night. Answers start appearing when she takes on a case where she finds fingerprints of a presumed dead man at the scene of the crime.  While investigating the case she discovers that the “dead man,” Vincent Keller (Jay Ryan, “Terra Nova”) is actually alive, and the one who saved her that one night so long ago. But there is one more surprise; he’s not completely human.

I have to say that I am a huge fan of shows like these. They are just fun and don’t require much thought, which sounds bad, but after a week of classes the last thing I want to do is think.

The actors are amazing, especially Kristin Kreuk. I thought that I would hold it against her that she played such a pivotal character in the show Smallville, but she broke out of that mold and was able to play another character.

Something else that I found interesting is that the show is not based in a high school.  The characters are adults who have jobs and life outside of class. I found this cool because a lot of CW shows are placed in high school situations, which gets harder and harder to relate to.

Out of all the shows that I have written about, this is the one that I will 100 percent keep up with. I think that, if done right, the show will have many more seasons. The only thing that is working against the show is the fact that the first episode went so fast. There were so many different events put into one hour that I found it kind of annoying.

I hate when supernatural shows like these reveal the truth about the “mystery” character in the first episode. Suspense is the best part of any show and by putting everything out there right away it takes away that excitement.

But that doesn’t make me disinterested in the show, it just makes me wonder where things will go from here.