Dare to be scared

Boo! Did I scare you? If you’re looking for a larger scare than my frightening expression before Halloween is over, try one of these local haunted houses. There are scare levels for all ages, from the biggest chicken to the bravest individual, throughout the area. So take a look at the Graph of Terror and pick the best location that suits your level of courage.

Halloween Hollow
5025 Crescent Ave.
Eau Claire, WI 54701

Pumpkin Town
Family friendly haunts will be Thursday and Friday from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., Saturday from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. and Sunday from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. until Oct. 28.

Frightmare Farm
The real haunting starts at 7 p.m. Thursday, Friday and Saturday through Oct. 27; the last day of the haunt will be Oct. 28. Experience four different haunts at Halloween Hollow. James Lamoureux, manager, said the Haunted House and Haunted Maze have spinning vortexes while Mortimer’s Mansion and Mortimer’s Estate have haunts of another caliber.

For more information about Halloween Hollow visit www.halloweenholloweauclaire.com.

Spooky Hollow Haunted Barn
W141 Segerstrom Rd.
Mondovi, WI 54755

Hours of operation: Friday and Saturday at 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. until Oct. 27 and Wednesday Oct. 31 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

This barn will bring new meaning to being scared out of your wits. This family-run haunted house is set at an old dairy farm.  About a dozen rooms are in the barn ranging from a werewolf room and witch’s room to an enchanted forest.

Don’t be surprised if you see something moving in the shadows because live people will be dressed to scare you throughout the haunt. By the end of your venture through the old barn, you will likely have the hairs standing on the back of your neck.

Spooky Ridge Trail
N7240 810th St.
Elk Mound, WI 54739

Hours of operation: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily through Oct. 28

If you are looking for a little less of a scare and more of a fun-filled day, Pleasant Valley Tree Farm is the place to go.  Spooky Ridge Trail is their version of spooky stroll through the woods, but other attractions will keep you there for the whole day. Pleasant Valley has a corn maze, giant 80-foot slide, pumpkin cannon, petting zoo and hay rides.