Getting healthier could be just up the hill

For students looking for a rejuvenating life change, it may lie just over the hill.

Students can find a variety of exercise classes available to them every day of the week. These classes take place in McPhee rooms 111, 111A, Zorn Arena, the pool, and the Olson Track.

Brittney Matti, who also oversees group exercise, said there is truly something for everyone. Even those with an injury can attend hydro aerobics, a low impact class which still offers great benefits for the body, she said. Not only does your body benefit, but social living may also be improved.

“The classes offer the opportunity to work towards personal wellness, meet friends, manage stress, and so much more … so many different options,” Matti said.

Whether a student’s interest is dance, cycling, or strengthening, there is a program that exists to fill their passion. If the outdoors are enticing, students should take advantage of the beautiful trails.

To participate in a group exercise class, simply bring a Blugold card and dress in workout clothing. All
equipment is provided.

A full fall calendar is ready for the semester, and all indoor cycling classes are now free. In fact, there couldn’t be a better way to exercise, Matti said.

“All of the indoor cycling bikes are equipped with ‘Green Revolution’ generators. As you cycle, you are producing energy that is put directly back into UW-Eau Claire’s power grid. Each class produces human generated power to sustain the sound equipment, lights, and monitor; you are doing something positive for yourself and the environment!”

Matti also mentioned how enthusiastic the instructors are, making class even more fun.

“I love all the instructors, and all the hard work they put in, the growth they create, and the fantastic job they do to support what we do here; they are so enthusiastic and knowledgeable. It might be your very first class, but you will still enjoy yourself and have fun because of the great staff.”

Information on group exercises can be found inside the Hilltop Center, or at www.uwec.edu/recreation.

Another great way to stay active this fall is through intramural sports, which, according to Jon Bollinger, director of intramurals and the sports clubs, is a place to have fun and get students’ minds outside of the classroom. A few of the sports offered this fall include ultimate frisbee, tennis, and badminton, a sport, as Bollinger noted, that is not commonly
offered at other schools.

Bollinger said they try to offer what’s popular, and ultimate frisbee and soccer are among the top choices.

“Our soccer leagues often have a waiting list,” he said.

Over 25 different sports are offered throughout the school year, and over a thousand intramural teams exist on campus.

Bollinger advised students sign up early so they can get a spot. Although they can be competitive, Bollinger said students most often look to intramurals for the social aspect they offer. You can register though University Recreation and Sports Facilities.

The 2012 edition of CUBEFest brought more than two hundred students to one of the exercise events offered. Zumba fitness, one of the group exercise options for this fall, had an excellent turnout. Hitham Abueid and Naomi Robinson were two freshman who made it out to the event.

“It’s really exciting; really fun … it’s like moving your whole body. I never sweat like that even when I run. It’s really good exercise,”  said Abueid, an international student from Israel.

Abueid also mentioned that despite the hard workout, it was worth his time. Robinson said there were so many students, it was hard to see the instructor.

However, she also enjoyed herself. She said she would be interested in trying more exercise classes.

As Matti said: “Make time to exercise; put it in your planner even if it’s just a fifteen minute walk outside. You will feel so much more refreshed and rejuvenated and ready to go.”