Whatever happened to Tekno the robotic dog?

So I’ll be honest.  I don’t remember a whole lot from my childhood.  Not that there weren’t good memories.  A lot of them were just blurred over time.  However one thing I clearly and vividly remember was my robotic dog “Tekno.”  Tekno was no ordinary robotic dog.  He was my first and only robotic dog.

I received Tekno for Christmas when I was 7 or 8.  I was ecstatic.  As anybody knows, owning a dog can be one of the most rewarding experiences.  For me, even though I knew he wasn’t real and even though I knew he wasn’t alive, I was still fascinated with his existence.

The first time I turned him on he came to life and started barking and walking around as if nothing was out of the ordinary.  I played with him for hours, trying to figure out all of the different things I could do with him.  I loved that dog.

So you ask, what was so special about this metallic canine?

Well for starters, at my age, techno was as alive as a real dog to me.  He barked, walked around (although not very fast) and responded to physical touch.  Tekno provided me with my own little “puppy” when I was at an age too young to care for a real one.  I think that was the best thing about Tekno.  He required no care, just your unconditional love.

Nonetheless, as a young boy I did not fully understand how to utilize even the simplest of toys. Tekno was designed to do things like walk and bark but his talents didn’t stop there.

“He is programmed to respond like an 8 week old puppy. Tekno sees and hears everything around him and knows when it is getting dark (he sleeps and snores). His biological clock wakes him automatically in the morning,” according to virtualpet.com.  He could also learn everyday tricks.

I wish I had known about this when I was 7!

Other awesome features of the inanimate pup included the ability to play cards, speak several English words, develop emotions, get smarter as he aged and sing!

Tekno was the kind of toy that got better and better the longer you played with him, and I won’t soon forget that playful pooch.  He provided me with a sense of ownership.  Although he was simple, he was very complex.  Tekno did things that no other toys could do.  He was loyal, fun and alive all at the same time.  The best part?  With just a change of batteries here and there, he would stay this way forever.  That’s something you can’t say for just any toy.  You don’t see your Barbies or G.I. Joes lighting up with excitement when you enter the room.  That’s why I loved him: He was different.

So where is this toy today?  Well, sadly, Tekno was discontinued.  However you can find him online in places like Ebay or Amazon for a price tag of around $30.