Coming into focus

Since forming in June 2011, Eau Claire power-pop band The Picture Perfect has created a name for themselves in the Midwest music scene.

Drummer Colin Huntington said the band has played several shows around Wisconsin and Minnesota, including UW-Stout and Station 4 in St. Paul. However, he said they’re eager to return to their roots and play more shows in Eau Claire, including one April 20 in the newly-renovated Schofield Auditorium.

“Since we’re from Wisconsin, we want to have a good show in Wisconsin that really brings more to those without having to drive two hours to see us,” Huntington said. “We’d like to have a good fan base and have a hometown band for Eau Claire.”

Frontman Kyle Featherstone said all five members will be living in Eau Claire next year in hopes of gaining local recognition.

“We’re just really excited to play for the people of the area where we’re supposed to be based out of,” he said. Featherstone, who plays piano, guitar and vocals, said they draw influence from piano-driven bands like Jack’s Mannequin, Something Corporate and The Rocket Summer.

“I think our sound is a little more unique,” he said. “I’ve really tried to fuse the piano aspect with the rock-pop feel of other bands.”

Longtime friends Featherstone and Huntington created the band last summer. Featherstone said fans were immediately receptive to their music so they decided to take the project more seriously.

“We started talking about everything in the second semester of last year and then recorded everything in the spring,” Featherstone said. “Based on how everything was sounding we decided that this was a little more legitimate than just a hobby or something. So, then in June we played our first show.”

Senior Jenny Ritchay said she will be attending the show because The Picture Perfect’s music is relatable and well-performed.

“I’ve been to a couple of their shows before and they always do a really, really great job,” Ritchay said. “They really get the audience excited; make sure that everybody’s having a good time.”

The Picture Perfect will be joined by Eau Claire band The Last Semester and Minneapolis group Lights Out Dancing. Featherstone said this concert is one that students won’t want to miss.

“We’re really excited to play in the area in a really great space,” he said. “The other two     bands are unbelievably awesome so the whole night will be really fun so  people will
come and like it.”