Tuesday’s Special (April 26, 2012)

I am always snacking. Usually, I’m eating quick snacks because I’m bored and tired. Almost every college student knows all-night study sessions are infinitely better with snacks, but most of the snacks that we eat lately are unhealthy and packaged foods. This week, I made a snack that’s just as healthy as it is tasty.

Chocolate-covered pretzels are delicious and super easy to make. Use any kind of pretzel — twists, rods or circles — and any kind of chocolate you like. Buy a bag of chocolate chips; you can get dark, milk, semi-sweet or white chocolate or try combining them! I like using milk chocolate and white chocolate for my pretzels.

Here’s what  I do:

Boil a small amount of water in a pot. While you’re waiting for it to boil, pour the bag of milk chocolate chips and a small dab of butter in a large glass bowl. Once the water is boiling, place that bowl on top of the pot. Don’t use a plastic bowl — it might melt!

Some people melt chocolate in the microwave, but it burns and hardens quickly and doesn’t taste nearly as good. Melting the chocolate chips with butter and on the stove keeps it smooth and silky.

Don’t just leave it on top of the pot on the stove, though. If you don’t keep stirring it with a spatula until the chocolate is fully melted, it will harden and not melt evenly.

After the chocolate chips are melted, remove them from the heat and start dipping your pretzels. You can hold them halfway in or dunk them all the way for the most chocolate flavor. It’s messy, but worth it.

When you’re done with each pretzel, put it on a parchment paper-lined plate to let the chocolate cool and harden.

After the pretzels are set, you can melt the white chocolate and drizzle some on top of the milk chocolate-covered pretzels. Or you can melt several kinds of chocolate at the same time to experiment with different variations.

When they’re all cooled, you can eat them anytime. They’re perfect for lounging on the couch or for a yummy treat while you’re bored in class. Enjoy!