Off the rack (Feb. 23, 2012)

In the fashion industry, the major trends of each season usually hit the coasts of the United States within months of their release and slowly trickle inland over the next year.

This means the average person in the Midwest will pick up on the trends of this spring at least a year from now.

To keep you ahead of the fashion curve for spring, I compiled the top clothing, accessory and beauty trends.

Deep Sea Aquatic

Alexander McQueen, Chanel and Givenchy led the way at Paris Fashion Week with spring collections inspired by aquatic environments.  Accessories including pearl-embellished hairpins, coral-heeled sandals and over-sized shark tooth necklaces filled the collections.  The color palettes included sandy browns, coral, mint green and iridescent fabrics.

Please don’t show up in public in scuba gear or makeshift high heels with coral on them.  Instead, introduce colors like the ones listed above.  Cropped cigarette pants are still very popular and are being sold in many colors at stores like J. Crew, Urban Outfitters and Gap. Old Navy carries chiffon tops in coral, mint green and almond brown.

Any shade of violet, coral or nude colored nail polish and light pink lipstick are great beauty choices that fit the trend. Etsy.com has hundreds of great options for aquatic inspired jewelry to help you dive into this latest trend.

Extreme Prints and Color

It’s time to infuse your monotone outfits with the craziest prints and colors. Up and coming British designer Mary Katrantzou mixed floral patterns to create inspiring combinations while veteran designer Stella McCartney added paisley prints to already bold colors. Push your personal style into overdrive by mixing prints and adding bold colors. If bold prints and colors intimidate you, add pops of color to neutral outfits.

Target, H&M and Forever 21 sell affordable neon and exotic prints like faux python or crocodile accessories.  Pastels, bold eye makeup or a red lipstick are also great alternatives to add more personality to even the most bland outfits.

Roaring ’20s

Collections such as Ralph Lauren, Gucci and Giorgio Armani featured flapper-inspired dresses, drop waists and other feminine silhouettes. Art Deco inspirations and other ’20s references are sure to be found in mainstream stores, especially with the highly anticipated release of “The Great Gatsby” later this year.

Sassy sequin and metallic dresses or skirts paired with strappy heels, gold or silver cuffs and rings become the perfect feminine outfit for a nice date or going out with friends.  For makeup, smoky eyes, a nude or light lipstick and a touch of blush can complete your look.

Remember, moderation is key with all of these trends.  Put your own personality into each look to create an original outfit that helps you avoid trend overkill.

View Comments (2)