Off the rack (Feb. 2, 2012)

Now that the second week of the semester has nearly passed, you have been able to scope out cute classmates for romantic possibilities.

Finding someone to fantasize about is of the utmost importance.  They will give you a reason to actually show up to your most boring class, to take the time to put together a presentable outfit every morning and will distract you from the continuous sarcastic comments from the know-it-all guy sitting behind you.

At the beginning of each class, you set out your notebook and pen to make it seem like you actually pay attention and begin to gaze longingly at the back of your dream date’s head. Your mind goes off to a magical place where they are asking to marry you etc., etc.  Little do you know, the class is now over and your dream guy or girl is waving his or her arm in front of your face, trying to break your obsessive trance-like stare.

You snap out of your dream world and try to compose yourself as they ask you the question you have been waiting for what seems like an eternity.

“Would you like to go out with me?”

You obviously accept their offer, walk home and spread the word to your friends about your wondrous encounter with your future lover.

The date night finally rolls around and you have been dreaming about the perfect scenario for hours, not leaving you any time to think about the most important thing to plan for a date: your outfit.

Fortunately, you won’t have any trouble finding the perfect date outfit because you have the following guide that will lead to dressing well on any date.

TIP 1: Stay casual and comfortable

After conducting polls on Facebook about what type of outfit the opposite sex would like to see their date in, nearly every person declared that going for a casual outfit was the best way to go.  Classic pieces such as dark wash jeans, cardigan sweaters, v-neck t-shirts and low-key jackets are always great options for both men and women.

Combining your personal style, such as jewelry, shoes and other statement accessories with these classics will add more pizazz to the outfit. Staying true to your personal style is important while putting together your outfit.

TIP 2: Classy, not trashy

Almost all the guys who took my poll said that little makeup was the best option and that flat shoes were preferred over heels.

Flats are practical and comfortable, which is great for nearly any type of date you go on.

Keeping your makeup to a minimum will help you come across as confident in yourself and more approachable than a face caked with makeup. Choosing an outfit and makeup that you will be comfortable and confident in can lead to a more relaxed and fun date.

If you are going to a fancy restaurant or concert, converting your outfit to fit the environment is easier than you think. For guys, adding a nice striped button up or sweater under a blazer or jacket will help you clean up well for any fancy situation you have planned for the night.  Girls can also add a fitted cropped blazer under a nice blouse and pair it with a high waisted skirt or leave your dark jeans on and pair them with some mid to low wedge heels or flats.

TIP 3: Use What You Have

There is no reason why you have to go out and buy an entirely new wardrobe for your dates.  Instead, work with what you have and don’t let it discourage you if you find yourself lost in your closet, searching for options. Try as many different outfit options, look at yourself in the mirror and rate them to try and slowly edit down your options.

Ask your friends to also bring in options from their closet. Friends are helpful and honest when it comes to clothes, so take their advice and you are sure to find something that will show off your personality and looks flattering with your body type. Dates can be expensive, but the clothes you wear to them don’t need to be.

Maintaining a confident outer shell can be hard to do with your dream date staring at you from across the table.  Staying practical, casual and comfortable will lead to an effortless look that will help radiate confidence, and lead to a more enjoyable date. And if your dream date turns out to be a dud, smile and nod, pretend you’re listening, and go back to day dreaming about a new crush and what outfit would be perfect for your next date.