How to play homemade apples to apples and other games

TELEPHICTIONARY

How many people can play?  

Probably no more than 8

How do you play?  

This game is a mix between Telephone and Pictionary, duh.  It mixes the classic fun of Pictionary with the danger and intrigue of Telephone.  It’s pure insanity!

Everyone in the circle has a scrap of paper for every person in the circle, so if six people are playing, everyone should have six scraps of paper.

First, you write a sentence (any sentence) on the top sheet.  For example: “Cowboys love apple pie.”

Everyone passes THE WHOLE PILE to the left.

The next person now has to draw a picture of that sentence on the next piece of paper in the pile.  So they’d draw a picture of a cowboy loving apple pie or something.  Meanwhile, you will have to draw a picture of someone else’s sentence.

BEFORE everyone passes the pile, they move the first sentence to the back of the pile so they next person in line ONLY SEES the drawing.

Then the next person will have to write a sentence according only to the drawing and the person after that will have to draw according only to that sentence and so on and so forth.

Once all the cards are done, read through all the piles together in the right order and then laugh and laugh and laugh!

HOMEMADE APPLES TO APPLES

How many people can play?  

A TON.

How do you play?  

If you’re familiar with Apples to Apples, it’s like that only so much better because you make the cards.

Make a bunch of cards out of scraps of paper and they can literally be anything (a couple of my favorites that we’ve made over the years are below), and put them in a pile.  The more creative the better!

Everyone draws five cards.

Then a person thinks of a category themselves.  A category can be anything that can be described by the cards.  For example: “Things Barbara Walters wants for Christmas…”

Then everyone else in the circle gives them one of their cards that they think most describe it, and then the person who thought of the category picks their favorite.  It can be the funniest, the most ironic, the most nonsensical, but it’s the person’s choice.  So a person could play the card “Dog Church” for that because it’s funny to think of Barbara Walters wanting a church for dogs … for Christmas.

So the person whose card gets picked gets a point and the next person in the circle picks a new category.

Repeat until you’re tired or you run out of cards!

CELEBRITIES

How many people can play?  

Probably no more than 10, and it has to be an even number.

How do you play?  

Well, it’s like Taboo, Catchphrase and Charades all in one.

You’re partners with the person directly across the room from you.  It’ll work out if there’s an even number.

Everyone writes down the names of five “celebrities” (a celebrity can be an actor, a cartoon character, a person from history, a friend, etc.) on scraps of paper and puts them in a hat.

For the first round, players draw a celebrity from the hat and give vocal clues to make their partner guess who it is.  Each team gets 30 seconds to get as many as they can.  If they get it right, they hold onto the card and draw another.

After your 30 seconds, pass the hat to the left and then that team goes.  Once all the cards have been guessed, tally up how many cards you got between the two of you and then put all of them BACK INTO the hat.

Now, the next round is similar, but you have to make your teammate guess the celebrity using only ONE WORD.  However, you can say that word however you may.  For example, if the card says Michael Jackson, you could sing the tune of Thriller, but only use the word “thriller.”

After the round, put all the cards back in the hat.

The last round is pure Charades.  You have to make your teammate guess using only actions, but this time you have 45 seconds.

After the third round, tally up all the points and whichever team had the most wins!