Another year of NOTA

Q&A with Art Director
Brenna Stoltenberg

Taylor Kuether: What is NOTA? How did it get started, and how long have you been
involved?

Brenna Stoltenberg: NOTA, None Of The Above, is the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire’s campus creative arts publication.  It features the creative work of students, its content is determined by students, it is run and made by students, and it is also funded by students. So, that’s why we get to read it for free.  NOTA was started in the 1970s, and I’ve been involved since last fall.

TK: What is your involvement with NOTA this semester?

BS: This year I am the art director for NOTA and lead the art side along with Kaitlyn Bryan, Elle McGee, and Brian Miller.  Our responsibilities pretty much include making the posters for submissions, open reads, etc., holding art submissions, photographing all of the artwork, then designing and printing the book.  The literature aspect of the book is run by Anna Field, who is the lead editor, along with Melinda Daniels.  They schedule and are in charge of all of the open reads — which everyone should go to — holding ‘lit’ submissions, getting a panel together and selecting the ‘lit,’ and editing the book.

TK: What do you personally like best about NOTA, and why should students read it and submit to it?

BS: My favorite thing about NOTA is that it is completely made by students and represents UWEC’s creative arts so well.  The submissions that we get every semester are so incredible, and because of it we get to make a really impressive book.  Anyone and everyone should submit, there’s really nothing to lose!  All mediums are welcome, any type of art, ‘lit,’ or music, any major can participate, all submissions are anonymous — well, to everyone but us, we have to be able to give you credit — and you have a chance to be published in a really
awesome book.

TK: How will this semester’s NOTA be different than others?

BS: This year we are introducing music to NOTA. We are so excited about it especially because there are so many talented musicians at UWEC. Also, NOTA will now completely cover all of the arts at the university.  The submissions will be digital since we will put the music into a ‘NOTA mix’ on Bandcamp (www.bandcamp.com) for a free download. Then we will have a separate ‘Music’ book, aside from the art/lit book, where each artist, band, or group will have one page with a picture, bio and about the band.  We also want to have an artist play at each open read, which is new. (If you’re interested in submitting, playing, or have more questions email [email protected].)

TK: Anything else you’d like to share with us about NOTA?

BS: Art submissions are on Wednesday, Oct. 5 at 6 p.m., voting is from 7 to 9 p.m. in Haas room 301. Literature submissions are on Friday, Oct. 7 and the selection committee will meet the following weekend. Music submissions will start on Wednesday, Oct. 5, digitally. (Send an mp3 to [email protected].) The first open read is in The Cabin next Thursday at 8 p.m. We will be making posters for all of these events and plastering them all over campus, so keep your eyes peeled for more info. And just remember anyone can submit, vote or be on the selection committee so if you want more information just email [email protected].

TK: What is your involvement with NOTA this
semester?

Anna Field: As Editor-in-Chief, I’m responsible for informing people of submissions dates, gathering all the submissions and making sure they come in anonymously but are from UWEC students, as well as running the selection committee. I also help to promote the open reads at The Cabin — the first one is Sept. 22 at 8 p.m. — and once the issue is printed I help distribute it across campus and encourage people to read them.

TK: What do you look for in the literature submissions selected for NOTA? What goes into the selection process?

AF: It’s not so much what I, or what anyone looks for, it’s what we decide as a group that determines what is selected for NOTA.  After all the submissions come in, a selection committee consisting of students read them anonymously and give them a score. I then average the scores that everyone gave ,and we all get together on an afternoon and discuss the top selections. Hearing them all read out loud and discussing their content really helps to choose which ones we would like to see published
that semester.

TK: What do you hope students get out of this semester’s NOTA?

AF: I hope they really enjoy it and are inspired to submit their own work and help us become more widely known. As the publication that prints least often of all UWEC publications, we really hope people appreciate the work that goes into it and how much collaboration is required to bring everything together and put out a great book we’re all
proud of.

Editor’s Note: Brian Miller is the Graphic Designer at The Spectator and a designer for NOTA.