Hot Diggety Dog

Sick of burgers? Well, me neither. But still, a little variety to your palate couldn’t hurt. Luckily, there’s a new hot dog place in town that can help you mix it up.

Copy editor Taylor Kuether and I journeyed to this mythical hot dog eatery, Samboney’s Hot Dog Stand, 1907 Brackett Ave.

The small parking lot was filled when we got there. The place is very small; it’s basically a kitchen and a cash register. Even if it’s not packed, you will not find indoor seating. There is a metal counter opposite the kitchen where you could stand and eat I suppose, but the point seems to be to get you your food so you can leave; it’s just a more polite version than that.

There is seating outside, which would be nice when it isn’t soaking wet. It’s just four tables, but I’d imagine that would be enough.

On to the food, of which they have a wide variety. I’ll get to the hot dogs later, but they also have polish sausage, Italian beef, gyros and tamales. It’s basically the United Nations of food.

Those would have to wait for another day, though, as I was on a mission for a Chicago Dog.

This would seem to be the main point of the place, if you can’t tell. It’s what separates it from any other place in Eau Claire, unless I’m gravely mistaken.

For those not in the know, a Chicago Dog is basically a hot dog with an entire garden on it. OK, that probably doesn’t sound too great.

I’ll try again: it has pieces of tomato on it, some sport peppers, bright green relish, mustard and a pickle, and it has to have celery salt. I think if you forget to put celery salt on it, you have to report to jail immediately. I’m not sure. Maybe you should check that out.

Taylor ordered the Cheese Dog, which (shockingly) is a hot dog with melted cheese on it. Dogs in hand, we went to eat in my corner because, as I said before, there was no seating and it was wet outside.

To quell all of this suspense, I will tell you that the Chicago Dog was very good. All of the flavors on it were easily distinguishable. This was especially true for the hot dog. You sometimes forget the superiority of an all beef frank compared to any other hot dog, but it was evident here. It was very flavorful and I enjoyed it a lot. If you want an example of how a hot dog should taste, you should go here.

The veggies were also very good and seemed fresh despite it not even being summer yet.

I also tried a bite of the Cheese Dog and I will say that the mound of cheese didn’t seem over-powering at all.

My only complaint with the dog itself was the bun. Now, a true Chicago Dog should have a steamed bun and I could tell that was the case here. The problem was that it was too soft for me and I didn’t love it. This wasn’t enough to spoil the all-important hot dog eating experience, though.

Now, each hot dog and many of the other entrées come with fries. They cut the potatoes on site and everything! Unfortunately, that’s where my excitement ends with the fries. They were really soft and didn’t have much flavor to them. I had to bathe them in ketchup to optimize the taste.

With that being said, I ate them all.

Again, they didn’t detract from my hot dog eating experience.

What I did thoroughly enjoy was the price. My meal cost me $2.75 and Taylor’s cost $3.00. The highest priced item on the menu is the Chicken Gyro, which comes to a little over $5.

That price, along with the high quality hot dog, makes this a destination that I will definitely go back to. There is also a chilidog on the menu that I will need to try. My arteries cannot wait.