Spectator Starter Kits

Favorite TV show:
The West Wing
An episode to get you started:
“Two Cathedrals” S2 E22

This is easily my favorite show of all time. This is the best thing Aaron Sorkin has ever done, and he has written and created many great things, in my opinion. For those not in the know, the show was about the trials and tribulations of President Bartlet and his staff. As is customary with Sorkin, the dialogue was great and has an unbelievable flow. The actors were also cast perfectly as each fully embodied his or her respective role.

Even in seventh grade, I couldn’t wait to watch each show as they handled new problems. From the crisis to the mundane, it was able to be both entertaining and smart, which is a hard thing to achieve (I’m looking at you, “Two and a Half Men”).

The quality dipped when Sorkin left the show after the fourth season, but I still didn’t miss an episode for each of its seven.

Favorite band:
The National
A song to get you started:
“Fake Empire”

I could probably listen to The National every day of the year. It’s hard for me to think of a more compelling band.

Their lyrics may be on the somber side of things, but Matt Berninger’s baritone voice guides you through the turmoil. They also have a knack for capturing the paranoia and struggles of life without being overwrought (unlike this write-up). The band is able to capture a specific moment and beautifully expand it.

Also, they have one of the best drummers around in Bryan Devendorf. He really keeps the songs moving. It’s impressive that he plays in such a nonchalant way, given how active his drumming is.

You really have nothing to lose by listening to these five guys. OK, maybe a little time, but that’s about it.

Favorite local restaurant:
Erbert and Gerbert’s
A menu item to get you started:
Tappy on wheat

Hey everybody, have you ever heard of this place? It’s this new sub shop that I discovered — oh wait, everybody is aware of the place. Silly me.

Maybe it’s a faux pas to pick a chain, but luckily I speak French very poorly, so that doesn’t bother me at all. And hey, it started in Eau Claire, so I think it represents this fair city well.

I prefer it over Subway because of its simplicity. You really only need to pick two things: the type of sandwich and the bread. I find the bread to be very delightful, too. There’s nothing really special about it, but despite this, it is still quite nice.

Plus, they give you the extra bread that they had to cut out, which they call guts. Besides hot dogs, how often do people get to eat guts and not go to jail for it? Almost never.

Anyway, I frequent Erbert and Gerbert’s more than most other places, so that is another reason why it made my kit.