Eau Claire’s Musical Melting Pot

The University Activities Commission is hosting its last event of the year, Local Fusion: Represent Your Roots, Friday.

Co-concert chairs Laura West and Sam Roedger planned the event in conjunction with the concerts committee. The sophomores said naming the concert was decided after an hour of brainstorming. It came to be both a good-sounding title and explanatory of the intention of the concert, West said.

“Every band that’s playing is a different genre,” she said, “so we like that it’s a fusion of different local bands.”

Roedger said the committee began the planning process by deciding what genres they wanted to be present at the concert. Settling on indie, electronica, progressive metal and rap/hip-hop, the committee began researching and emailing local bands.

The band representing the indie genre is The Daredevil Christopher Wright. Guitarist and vocalist for Daredevil, Jon Sunde said the band, who has strong Eau Claire roots, is “quite fond” of the Eau Claire music community and is anticipating a fun, eclectic evening.

“With a university, it’s a different kind of environment than other … venues, in that the nature of students is very transient,” Sunde said. “It’s a constantly renewing potential audience.”

He added that since the band members themselves are in their 20s, it’s always fun to play to groups of people around the same age because they “get along well.”

Also performing at Local Fusion are Frozen Tundra, Climbing The Aggrocrag and Winner’s Circle.

West said she hopes this concert will generate a diverse audience so the UAC can find out what people on campus really desire musically.

Roedger agreed, adding that the UAC has been striving to cater to students’ tastes.

“We’ve been working on surveying the campus, looking for what (students) want,” he said. “That’s why we’re here, to put on shows that they want to see.”

Sophomore Josh Becker, vocalist for the progressive metal band Climbing The Aggrocrag, said he’s excited to perform for his peers, who may not typically be exposed to the type of music he’s performing.

“I hope everybody keeps an open mind,” Becker said. “It will be a great opportunity to discover some new music.”

The price, West said, is hopefully going to be a big selling point in generating a large audience. Tickets are $2 for students with a valid Blugold ID and $4 for the general public.
Roedger said the event has already gotten a good response on campus. His resident assistant is making it a wing event and the Facebook event page has more than 80 users responding as attending.

Some bands will be selling merchandise throughout the evening. Sunde said Daredevil will have their first record and t-shirts available for purchase.

Doors open at 7 p.m. April 8 in the Council Fire Room in Davies Center.