Spectator Starter Kits

Favorite TV show:
Psych
An episode to get you started:
“Spellinggg Bee” S1 E2.

Thanks to Netflix Instant Streaming, I have been exposed to many a TV show that I wouldn’t normally have watched, and I’m thankful because it led me to the wildly witty world of “Psych.”

For those new to the show, the lead, Shawn Spencer, has a photographic memory but pretends to be a psychic and uses his “ability” to solve cases for the Santa Barbara Police Department. Spencer and his best friend Gus (Burton Guster) have their own psychic detective agency, appropriately named Psych.

It’s basically “The Mentalist” on comedic steroids, and the relationship between Spencer and Gus is reminiscent of Turk and JD from Scrubs, only funnier. They are so in tune, their timing is perfection and the writing for the show only gets better with every season. This is a series I could watch over and over and still find every ’80s reference and goofy nickname as funny as the first time.

Favorite artist:
Rob Thomas
A song to get you started:
“Fire on the Mountain”

So I’ll be the first one to admit that my musical repertoire has never been what you would call… current. I’ve always been a fan of country music (please save your scoffs for later) and never really paid attention to much pop/rock music. That is, until I went to Thailand.

Strangely enough, I stopped by a little stand selling CDs and I picked up my very first Matchbox Twenty CD (Yourself and Someone Like You) and instantly fell for Thomas’ voice and lyrics. Granted I “discovered” them a good 10 years after they were popular, so I’m justified in saying that my love for him is pure and not due to pop culture.

He has become a phenomenal solo artist, which I think his song “Fire on the Mountain” from his latest album shows. It starts off with a tribal drum feel and builds into this powerful ballad with an equally powerful message.

Give him another chance; I swear it’s worth a listen.

Favorite local restaurant:
Court-n-house
A menu item to get you started:
Olive & Swiss Burger

There is nothing like a burger and a beer (or insert other non-alcoholic beverage here) to take the edge off a long day and Court-n-House definitely knows the way to my stomach. It’s also too cheap to be believed; what could be better!

This was the first local Eau Claire restaurant I tried. I liked it immediately. It’s a very laid back local bar that is sleepy during the day, which is great for a quick but excellent bite, but gets hoppin’ on Thursday nights for karaoke and their two-for-one burger special. My favorite burger is the olive and Swiss burger, and I order it every time. I never thought to put green olives on a burger, but I’m absolutely converted.

It’s a great place to watch a game or hang out, and even the locals venture in to enjoy the atmosphere. Just try to wander off the beaten Water Street path a bit and see what other restaurants have to offer.