The Great Debate: Burgers vs. Pizza

Burgers
by Eric Christenson

Let me just say that pizza is good. I appreciate a good pizza, believe me when I say this. But burgers are just better in every way.

Now, Iโ€™m not weird and Iโ€™m not naรฏve; I know that if you add bacon to anything it gets better, exponentially better. EXCEPT for pizza. I donโ€™t know if youโ€™ve had bacon pizza, but itโ€™s kind of average (read: terrible), but Iโ€™d take a bacon cheeseburger any hour of any day of the week.

Itโ€™s delicious! And not terribly pricy! A pizza is going to run you $10 to $20 dollars, but a juicy, big, delicious burger will only be $6 to $10. Now, thatโ€™s what I call a deal.

One of the major arguments in favor of pizza will probably be that you can put so much on a pizza! Thatโ€™s kind of true, but will it taste as good? The answer is no. The most popular toppings are the most popular for a reason. Pepperoni, sausage, cheese, boom. Once you start messing around with barbecue chicken, lettuce or anchovies, disaster strikes.

With a burger, though, lettuce, pickles, ketchup, mustard, onions and mushrooms all make sense and taste great no matter what. Plus, the amount of cheese that tastes good with a big hunk of beef is limitless, whereas with pizza, youโ€™re pretty much limited to mozzarella and Parmesan.

Itโ€™s hard to mess up a burger because itโ€™s so simple. The only way is if you cook the meat too long or too short and thatโ€™s an easy fix. But if thereโ€™s too much sauce on a pizza, thatโ€™s it; Iโ€™m done with it.

All in all, I like burgers because they are easy, cheap, fast and delicious โ€” things that donโ€™t make a good pizza.

Those hot circles of garbage are just too hit or miss for me to trust my junk food habits with.

Pizza
by Taylor Kuether

โ€˜Hey guys, letโ€™s have some burgers delivered and watch the game.โ€™

No one has ever said that. Why? Because burgers are a very impractical junk food.

Theyโ€™re big, greasy, and absolutely require a table (eating a burger on the couch during, say, a movie night, would be a disaster).

Pizza, on the other hand, has a built-in plate (hello, crust), can be ordered literally zillions of ways and feed literally zillions of people.

No one wants to share a burger; in fact, thatโ€™s not really feasible unless you want to pass your sandwich into your friendโ€™s grubby hands and watch as he or she takes a big, messy bite.

A good ole โ€˜za, however, is meant to be shared: thatโ€™s why they slice it.

And instead of simply hearing, โ€˜Do you want fries with that?โ€™ pizzas are entirely customizable. Pick your toppings, stuff the crust, dip your slice in ranch dressing if you want to!
You can even get dessert pizzas โ€” โ€œTreatzza Pizzas,โ€ anyone?

Plus, EVERYONE likes pizza. In Chicago, the slices are thick and hefty; Brooklynโ€™s famous for folding their thin slices in half; in Sicily, youโ€™ll weep as you partake in the religious experience they named pizza.

Vegetarian? Good luck with that big meaty hamburger. Veggie pizzas, however, are sometimes more delicious than their meat-laden counterparts.

And if youโ€™re craving a late-night snack, a burgerโ€™s never got your back.

Just call up Toppers or Jimโ€™s for some pizza love; if you try calling Culverโ€™s, youโ€™re just going to get an answering machine and your stomach will be left grumbling.

View Comments (26)