The Great Debate: Burgers vs. Pizza

Eric Christenson

Burgers
by Eric Christenson

Let me just say that pizza is good. I appreciate a good pizza, believe me when I say this. But burgers are just better in every way.

Now, I’m not weird and I’m not naïve; I know that if you add bacon to anything it gets better, exponentially better. EXCEPT for pizza. I don’t know if you’ve had bacon pizza, but it’s kind of average (read: terrible), but I’d take a bacon cheeseburger any hour of any day of the week.

It’s delicious! And not terribly pricy! A pizza is going to run you $10 to $20 dollars, but a juicy, big, delicious burger will only be $6 to $10. Now, that’s what I call a deal.

One of the major arguments in favor of pizza will probably be that you can put so much on a pizza! That’s kind of true, but will it taste as good? The answer is no. The most popular toppings are the most popular for a reason. Pepperoni, sausage, cheese, boom. Once you start messing around with barbecue chicken, lettuce or anchovies, disaster strikes.

With a burger, though, lettuce, pickles, ketchup, mustard, onions and mushrooms all make sense and taste great no matter what. Plus, the amount of cheese that tastes good with a big hunk of beef is limitless, whereas with pizza, you’re pretty much limited to mozzarella and Parmesan.

It’s hard to mess up a burger because it’s so simple. The only way is if you cook the meat too long or too short and that’s an easy fix. But if there’s too much sauce on a pizza, that’s it; I’m done with it.

All in all, I like burgers because they are easy, cheap, fast and delicious — things that don’t make a good pizza.

Those hot circles of garbage are just too hit or miss for me to trust my junk food habits with.

Pizza
by Taylor Kuether

‘Hey guys, let’s have some burgers delivered and watch the game.’

No one has ever said that. Why? Because burgers are a very impractical junk food.

They’re big, greasy, and absolutely require a table (eating a burger on the couch during, say, a movie night, would be a disaster).

Pizza, on the other hand, has a built-in plate (hello, crust), can be ordered literally zillions of ways and feed literally zillions of people.

No one wants to share a burger; in fact, that’s not really feasible unless you want to pass your sandwich into your friend’s grubby hands and watch as he or she takes a big, messy bite.

A good ole ‘za, however, is meant to be shared: that’s why they slice it.

And instead of simply hearing, ‘Do you want fries with that?’ pizzas are entirely customizable. Pick your toppings, stuff the crust, dip your slice in ranch dressing if you want to!
You can even get dessert pizzas — “Treatzza Pizzas,” anyone?

Plus, EVERYONE likes pizza. In Chicago, the slices are thick and hefty; Brooklyn’s famous for folding their thin slices in half; in Sicily, you’ll weep as you partake in the religious experience they named pizza.

Vegetarian? Good luck with that big meaty hamburger. Veggie pizzas, however, are sometimes more delicious than their meat-laden counterparts.

And if you’re craving a late-night snack, a burger’s never got your back.

Just call up Toppers or Jim’s for some pizza love; if you try calling Culver’s, you’re just going to get an answering machine and your stomach will be left grumbling.

7 Comments

7 Responses to “The Great Debate: Burgers vs. Pizza”

1. spencer McMichael on February 19th, 2016 9:44 am

Pizza is great in so many ways! No person has ever said no to a bite of pizza, and if they did it would be because they are either vegan or they do are not hungry. On the other hand, if someone rejects a burger, it is because they do not want to get messy or once again, they are vegan. Pizza is a great party snack and it gathers so much attention! If you took burgers to a party people would eat them, but they would run out very fast and some people might not even finish them! If you grab a slice of pizza then you just need 3 maybe 4 big bites an its inside of your stomach. But with a burger you need to take the biggest bites in the world because they are so big and wide. I do admit that burgers have some advantages but they have more disadvantages. I have more on my mind that I want to say but I am in a hurry so goodbye!

2. Wayne Dosserson on July 28th, 2016 9:23 pm

BURGERS ARE BETTER

3. Sarah on September 11th, 2018 8:33 am

I agree,because burgers a faster and easier to make, and eating to much pizza makes you sick, plus if you have a friend that’s vegan just make a veggie burger

4. Charles on August 21st, 2016 4:02 am

Pizza is the best because you can add as much cheese as you want! duh

5. Darwin on February 3rd, 2017 8:42 am

pizza ia better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. paige pearson on November 6th, 2017 5:58 pm

I think both are really good and both are also bad in a way

7. Khubaib on March 28th, 2018 1:34 pm

Yes u r right

• The Great Debate: Burgers vs. Pizza

New delivery service launches in Eau Claire

• The Great Debate: Burgers vs. Pizza

5th annual Gatsby’s Gala

• The Great Debate: Burgers vs. Pizza

Shopping for a Cause

• The Great Debate: Burgers vs. Pizza

• The Great Debate: Burgers vs. Pizza

Spec Playlist: “boy band bops”

• The Great Debate: Burgers vs. Pizza

Ballin’ on a budget

• The Great Debate: Burgers vs. Pizza

• The Great Debate: Burgers vs. Pizza

Different look, different name, same quality

• The Great Debate: Burgers vs. Pizza

Faculty art fills the Foster Art Gallery

• The Great Debate: Burgers vs. Pizza

A fresh way to experience Eau Claire

The Great Debate: Burgers vs. Pizza