The Great Debate: The Disney Dispute

After a season in which the team won four of the nine events it entered, the women’s golf team received its second straight invitation to the NCAA Div. III golf championships this week. Senior Kristi Moss, one of five players who will represent the Blugolds at nationals next week, said the team expected to be invited there.

Disney Animated Classics
By Ben Rueter
The sun rises over an African meadow, a chant cries out as various animals cross the plains to witness the birth of a king. If you don’t immediately think of “The Lion King,” I’m guessing your parents raised you wrong.

Pixar may be the new hot thing in terms of animated feature films, but it’s still living in the shadow of Walt Disney’s hand
animated classics.

The house that Mickey built opened up a whole new world for filmmaking. Before CGI became the norm for animated films, artist had to hand draw each frame. This labor of love shines through in each film.

Pixar lacks the bare necessities to easily communicate emotion through its animation.

When Copper and Tod in “The Fox and the Hound” meet for the first time, you get a sense of warm, oblivious innocence and,  more simply put, cuteness. It’s in their faces, not their words.
Granted, Pixar can write great stories, but their emotional hooks come from their writing and not their animation.

Let’s not forget the music in Disney classics. “Under the Sea”? “When you wish Upon a Star”?  Ask just about any girl on campus if they have a Disney Soundtrack Pandora station and they’ll say yes. If they don’t, they’re probably going to make one after reading this.

These songs have stuck with us for years. Attached to those songs are the memories of when stories were simple and affectionate.
Hakuna matata.

Disney Pixar
By Thom Fountain
Here’s the thing: I’m not heartless. I may have to fight back tears when Simba returns to the throne of his father at Pride Rock. I mean, who wouldn’t?

That being said, one great movie does not make a body of work. It takes a vast variety of interesting and original films to be considered a legendary studio and Disney/Pixar has done just that.

I can’t stress enough that I have nothing against the Disney Classics. It’s just that they’re all the same. We get it, princesses are either blonde or a cat. Since Pixar joined the mix though, each movie (or series) Disney has released has been an original idea presented in a unique way.

The “Toy Story” franchise was revolutionary and has reached, if not eclipsed, the popularity of older classics. “WALL-E” applies an almost completely silent film to the problem of environmental responsibility, and yet it’s still an adorable children’s movie. That takes skill.

The list goes on. That first scene in “Up” could make Sly Stallone cry. A continuing theme in all these movies is their appeal to an older audience. I don’t know how many times I could watch Snow White or Sleeping Beauty now that I’m not 5, but I’m always game for “WALL-E” or “Toy Story” or even “A Bug’s Life.”

While I have utter respect for Disney throughout its history, I think they’ve hit their stride in recent years and will continue to grow with the addition of Pixar.

If you don’t believe me, you just need to wait for “Cars 2.”