Reel Love: The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

In honor of the impending 31st, I figured I should cross a Halloween-related film off my “I-can’t-believe-I-haven’t-seen-it” list. As I revealed last weekend when reviewing The Blair Witch Project, I have a very low tolerance for movies filled with suspense and scares. Therefore, this weekend I visit a movie most of my peers grew up loving: The Nightmare Before Christmas.

When The Nightmare Before Christmas was first released, I was only five years old, and that eerie image of Jack Skellington singing with the yellow moon as his backdrop convinced me that Nightmare was a terrifying movie for children much older than myself, probably even for adults. While the movie does contain elements of the unnatural and creepy, it is not so much a horror movie as a fairy tale … but not a sugar-coated Disney fairy tale that we’ve grown accustomed to – a twisted and dark fairy tale in the style of Brothers Grimm.

For those of you who have yet to see this holiday favorite, The Nightmare Before Christmas is set in Halloweentown, a town that plans for the spooky holiday under the leadership of visionary Jack Skellington. Unfortunately, Jack is growing a little tired of planning the same fright-fest year after year. After stumbling upon Christmas Town, he decides that this year he will plan for Christmas instead.

The film is delightful and magical like any beloved children’s movie, but it has a dark and wicked streak that elevates it beyond being just another cartoon. There is nothing childish about this movie; in fact, there are many morbid visuals and story elements that surprised me, including attempted murder by poison and three corrupt, villainous children.

The characters are great fun. There is a misguided whimsy to Jack Skellington that makes him a fascinating and charismatic character, and while the character of Sally is underdeveloped, she is a nice antidote to the rest of the crazies in the town. And seriously, how fun is it to have a villain named Oogie Boogie?

Although the plot is refreshingly original, the visual touches are what make this movie truly memorable. I am a huge fan of the stop-motion animation style. The variety of ghouls, goblins, witches and other creatures impossible to categorize scuttling about the screen are marvelous to watch. The plot and characters are quite creative, but really, I believe I would watch this movie again no matter how lame the plot, just to enjoy the frights and sights of Halloweentown.

Next on Reel Love: What do zombies, spring break, and Nazis have in common? Find out on Thursday when I review the next campus film, Dead Snow. Then, check out the online weekend edition as I watch my first James Bond movie… ever.